Author: deananash

I have a "spare kidney" and a soldier is wanted [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-11 21:12:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-7-11 21:41
What is this remark in aid of ? Kidneys are now widely accepted by recipients who are not related to the donors . His twin , if he ever needs a kidney , or vice versa , can get a donor organ from the general public as long as the tissues are matching .  

Well, one could also suggest that the soldiers could also get a readily available donor organ from this general public of which you speak.

I feel a little disturbed by the idea of someone going around hawking one of their kidneys for a stranger, any stranger. It just sounds a little bit too much like BIID (Body Integrity Identity Disorder).
The issue with the twin brother is that from what I understand, a kidney from an (identical) twin requires NO anti-rejection drugs, and I presume this means that the transplant recipient should be able to lead a normal life without the organ having to be replaced after 10 or so years. The fact that little or no anti-rejection drugs being required also means a better quality of life, with less chance of opportunistic infections.
I know someone who's had a double lung/heart transplant and the anti-rejection drugs have had a major physical impact on her, not all of which would be entirely desirable.

Also, as I have a brother who has had problems with his own kidneys in the past, maybe I am a bit more sensitive to the issue.
I feel that should my brother develop a serious problem with his own kidneys, he may need one of mine, and I may be a bit strange, but I do feel that I have a little more obligation to my own brother, rather than some anonymous military serviceman in a foreign country, no matter how many "minutes of fame" I would receive in that country.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 07:16:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by deananash at 2008-7-11 13:19
amyamy, you are astute, as I would prefer to donate to a current soldier.  Mostly because they are generally younger (under 50), which means the kidney has more potential 'life' (in terms of years) ...

I am glad you have nice years teaching in Shenzhong. No, I don't know that school but I know that Ma Huateng (the QQ company CEO ?) graduated from that school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 07:22:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-7-11 18:56
This is my two cents' worth of the Chinese translation .

"  A potential donor of a kidney to a soldier . ( An American ).

This volunteer is a male , 48 years old , 1.73 m , 735kgm ,o ...

Your English writing is much better than my version. Yes, "potential" the word should put before "donor" but since Dean said "Caucasian" was not necessary, so I think "an American" is not necessary in the headline. And it's political sensitive to put Australia before Japan just as Dean wrote.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 07:37:21 |Display all floors

Human courage of the finest kind .

amyamy,

My apologies to you if you think I tried to " steal your thunder " . I forget your post ( excellent ) when I read the Chinese version and thought I could improve on the second translation . No offense meant . Sorry .

emu ,

I don't think it is your place , or mine , to question Dean's ulterior motives . We all walk our own paths through life. If he is comfortable in wanting to be this generous in donating his kidney to a specific type or group of people he admired , it is his choice . You have stated your preference and we respect that too .What I do not like is to see anyone ramming their philosophy down someone else's throat , when the good Samaritan gesture was none of your business ( or mine ):):)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 07:44:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-7-11 21:12

Well, one could also suggest that the soldiers could also get a readily available donor organ from this general public of which you speak.

I feel a little disturbed by the idea of someone go ...

Hmm, obligation to one's family members. There're some people who put this down and search for their happiness...for example, mountaineers or sport-player extremists or martyrs. Maybe the chances of taking risk of living with one kidney is not as much as traffic accidence in USA. I think it's even less risky than going to Africa to be a volunteer.

If the potential recipient should be a current soldier in China, the chances of giving out his kidney is very low. But it can raise the organ donation spirit among the public. It will benefit the people more than Dean himself. Fame is not always a person's final goal through seeking mass attention. Sometimes one goes through the means to publicize the matter but at the end it benefits the general public.  

I can distinguish publicizing oneself from  publicizing a matter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 07:53:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-7-12 07:37
amyamy,

My apologies to you if you think I tried to " steal your thunder " . I forget your post ( excellent ) when I read the Chinese version and thought I could improve on the second  ...

No apologies, you've been helpful. I'll rewrite the Chinese later and put it to translation forum to see if they have better ways. I think Emu has his own points to worry. Don't need to kick him out. Some people may want to say the same too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 08:24:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-7-12 09:37
...when the good Samaritan gesture was none of your business ( or mine )

Most of your post #32, I don't take issue with, however it did become "our" business when it was explicitly and deliberately raised here in a public forum.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.