Author: deananash

I have a "spare kidney" and a soldier is wanted [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-6 20:38:39 |Display all floors
Hi deananash:

Any progress on your project?

You've received a lot of laudatory comments and one or two , well, just one, meanspirited comment for your proposed sacrifice.

I'd  just like to follow-up from time to time and see if anything comes of it.

Meanwhile a few bucks directed to Sichuan Earthquake Relief, would have an immediate positive effect.

Regards,

Rong

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-7 04:40:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2008-7-4 01:48
I would also unreservedly donate a kidney to a member of my family in need of one.
Everybody who has replied here basically says "Wow, what a guy!

The Canadian injects a note of caution and sober reality.

Your post, Ronglimeng, well said.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-7 07:59:42 |Display all floors
There is a endemic in the western world  in narcissistic indulgences . This includes " someone else will fix it . Why can't I get a donor organ when I want it " ?  It is ME ME ME to the end .

Australia has one of the lowest donor rates in the world . Everyone wants an organ if or when they are unluckily struck with some severe illness. But to donate ? Not now !!

That is why Dean has my utmost admiration and Rong has my contempt for criticizing him . Is it guilt when a mean spirited sees a generous deed that he cannot bring himself to do ?  Is it that mirror image , showing up what a miserable and selfish person he is .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-9 01:08:03 |Display all floors

An Update

Wow, I'd just like to say thank you to each of you for your comments, both positive and negative.  I know that none of us holds all of the keys of knowledge to any particular problem, so I'm grateful to hear various sides of an issue.  

To my way of thinking, the issue here is life and what I am capable, and comfortable doing.  As I said in my original post, I could never be a soldier.  It just isn't in my make-up.  But that's okay, as there are obviously lots of things that I am not suited for.  However, something that I am suited for is to donate my spare kidney.  And since my respect for soldiers knows no bounds, I would really like to do something for one of them.

Some can argue that because God gave us two kidneys, he must have done it for a reason.  To that charge, I say that perhaps the reason he gave us the extra one was so that we could give it away and save someone else's life.  We don't need for everyone to do this; if less than 1% would donate, the need would be eradicated.  Just like we don't need everyone to be a doctor, farmer, businesswoman, etc...  Each of us has a valuable - and distinct - role to play.  This is mine.

Anyway, as I pointed out, between my identical twin brother and myself, we have four good kidneys.  So for me, the risk is not nearly as great as it is for the average person.  

As to the charge that I am merely seeking publicity (for myself), I plead half-guilty.  I am seeking publicity, but not really for myself.  I want to accomplish three things with my spare kidney.  

First, I want to save another's life.  Although I am no longer religious, I was raised to believe in the "Golden Rule".  I can't escape, nor do I want to, my thoughts about what I would want should I be in need of a kidney in order to live.  I would surely want someone, anyone, to give me one of theirs.

Second, if I can save one life by giving my kidney, it will be worth way more than the small amount of inconvenience to me.  But if, because of publicity, I can show some others that this isn't all that dangerous and well worth the risks, then perhaps others will donate their spare kidneys and many others will be saved.  

Third, because I am an American happily living in China for 5+ years, I would be honored that my donation would generate enough publicity that it would cause both Americans and Chinese to reconsider some of their negative feelings towards each other.  One need look no further than this very BBS to understand what I mean.  (This is the reason that I rarely visit these pages anymore.)  

As to an update, nothing has come of my request for assistance except for these 15 or so comments.  The truth is, I have spent the past two years trying to work this problem through the back channels (or, if you prefer, the 'right' way.)  Because I have had NO SUCCESS, I have decided to go public.  I'm 48 this summer and if I can't donate my kidney to a Chinese by next summer, then I shall donate it to a person from the nearest country, perhaps Australia or Japan.

And finally, Rong, I agree (and applaud) your words that we have to help the Earthquake victims.  I can assure you that I am doing everything in my power to be of assistance to them.  But I would remind you (and everyone) that what most people need money can't buy.  Think education, friendship, love and yes, kidneys.  

I'm a bit hesitant to post this link, but I think that I must, because I now realize that cynicism is rampant in our world, not because of the good people, but because of the bad.  I believe that there are more of us than there are of them, they just attract all of the attention - they create all of the (negative) news.  (Please note that the video was posted to YouTube almost two years ago and that I have been a member here for even longer.  The truth is, I value my privacy, but I value helping others more.)

My point in posting it isn't to draw praise to myself but rather to encourage all of you to live your life to your fullest potential and don't ever not do something merely because of what others will say about it.  There will always be both positive and negative comments as there are always positive and negative sides to everything.  

To dear Mengzhi, your kind words really touch me, but I must offer a confession.  I believe that all people are narcissists - that each of us, and this definitely includes me - does what we want because it makes us happy. I am the lucky one here, as I have found what makes me truly happy - and that is helping others.  Some people never find anything to make themselves happy.

Again, thank you all for posting your comments and to everyone else who simply stopped by to read.  If you know someone, or know someone who knows someone, and they are in a position to help me reach my goal, please do not hesitate to contact me.  What follows are some links to some of my blog - Ru Zi Ke Jiao.com - posts that I believe are worth reading.   

Leadership Defined

Our cities are full of empty shelters

What help does this man really need?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-9 15:14:14 |Display all floors

soldier? ex-soldier?

Originally posted by deananash at 2008-7-1 01:53
Nali, nali.  While I do appreciate all of your kind words, I don't really think that there is anything particularly special about me doing this.  Everyone is different (thank God!).  For me, ...

You are very kind and brave. I can understand you want to do something very helpful to others and make yourself happy. Last night when I first read this thread I thought I should try to help spreading your message since the comments here have not make big move to help you. The reasons are:

1.I think you have considered thoroughly to make such a decision.
2. Living with one kidney is OK.
3. If I don't help spreading your message, I'll feel guilty of taking off someone's chance and your chance.
4. Even at the end, no one comes to claim your kidney and you get mass attention, I think this attention would elevate people's positive spirit.

But I am not familiar with the media nor the China Red Cross. All I can do is to post your message to the popular Chinese bbs. I hope someone can write good Chinese to do this for you because my language skill is not so good and my input speed is quite slow.

How about this content to be appeared in the Chinese bbs?

A kidney waiting to donate to a soldier.
Preferable a Chinese soldier.
The donor is a healthy 48 y/o (Caucasion ? male) who believe he can live with one kidney the rest of his life fine..
His blood is A type. If he can't donate his kidney to a Chinese by next summer, then he will donate it to a person from the nearest country, perhaps Australia or Japan.
He has great respect to soldier and past connection with Chinese people.
If you know the happiness he can get from helping the one he likes, you will not think he only wants attention because attention will not bring him the equal happiness.
You can contact him at (this thread address)

Wow, it took me 40 minutes to write this. I hope someone can type it into Chinese bbs to help you. But I think you have to clarify if you want soldier or ex-soldier is OK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-10 01:40:37 |Display all floors

Thank you amyamy

Yes, that content is fine.  As you correctly guessed, I am a Caucasian male, although I don't think that the 'Caucasian' part is necessary.   (The male part might be due to size - I'm about 173cm and 75 kilos.)  I'm also a lifelong non-drinker / non-smoker.  That and good genes make me an ideal candidate.

I think that your idea is wonderful and I appreciate the work that you've already put into it.  

Can someone please translate that into really good Chinese and then send it to amyamy?  (Or post it here.)

If you're interested in learning more about living donors, please visit: www.matchingdonors.com

In my previous post, there are five links, and if you hold your mouse over them, you can see them.  They're there, they're just hidden.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-10 09:18:30 |Display all floors

You're welcome. I can put it into translation forum first.

How about this revised content?

A kidney waiting to donate to a soldier.
Preferable a Chinese soldier or ex-soldier
The donor is a healthy 48 y/o ( male about 173cm and 75 kilos, lifelong non-drinker / non-smoker) who believe he can live with one kidney the rest of his life fine..

His blood is A type. If he can't donate his kidney to a Chinese by next summer, then he will donate it to a person from the nearest country, perhaps Australia or Japan.

He has great respect to soldier and past connection with Chinese people.

If you know the happiness he can get from helping the one he likes, you will not think he only wants attention because attention will not bring him the equal happiness.
You can contact him at (this thread address) and the Ruzi K J . com website.
---------------
Yes, I've browsed the Ruzi.....Should the above message mention you teached in Shenzhong middle school?
I know donating money also can help people but live human organ is hard to find. So I know the importance and understand your wish.

Now you'd better confirm the above content.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.