Author: deananash

I have a "spare kidney" and a soldier is wanted [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-29 14:48:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by deananash at 2008-7-29 13:23
Right you are, haiming2

This is one of the reasons that I wish to donate my kidney to a soldier.  I've tried for 2 years to donate my kidney - to anyone - here in China, with no success.  

As ...

your donations is not the problem.......is a good deed

i have read that for kideys, there will be checks for compatibility.......& the rate of success after transfer is ~80% +-10%.....

Maybe is one of the reasons for the slow acceptance

as race(dna?) cld be a factor....

Cheers
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-31 02:39:47 |Display all floors
No long-term health issues for kidney donors
Donors live normal lifespan, are just as healthy as others, new study finds

Jan. 28, 2009

NEW YORK - Donating a kidney doesn’t appear to have any long-term health consequences for the donor, a reassuring study shows.

Researchers at the University of Minnesota found those who gave up one of their two kidneys lived a normal life span and were as healthy as people in the general population. The donation also didn’t raise the risk of having kidney failure later.

Kidney donation has generally been considered safe, although with surgery, there are always risks. The new research of nearly 3,700 donors dating back more than four decades is the largest and longest study to look at long-term outcomes, said the researchers. They reported their findings in Thursday’s New England Journal of Medicine.

“It is a confirmation that living donation is a safe thing,” said Dr. Matthew Cooper, a transplant surgeon at the University of Maryland, who was not involved in the research.

Kidneys filter waste and excess fluid from the blood. If your kidneys fail, the options are dialysis or a transplant. More than 78,000 people are on the national waiting list to receive a kidney from a deceased donor. The need for kidneys has soared with the rise in diabetes and obesity and the wait can last for years.

Donations on the rise
Living donation has increased as more people became willing to donate and newer surgery techniques shortened recovery time. In 2007, more than a third of the 16,629 kidneys transplanted in the U.S. came from living donors, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing.

Dr. Hassan Ibrahim, the study’s leader, and his colleagues wanted to find out what happened to the 3,698 people who had donated a kidney at the university since 1963. They tried to contact everyone and used government records to find out who had died. A group of 255 donors was randomly selected to have kidney and other tests. Results were compared with health outcomes for the general population.

Overall, 268 of the donors died, which the researchers said was comparable to survival in the general population. Eleven donors developed kidney failure decades later and needed dialysis or a transplant. The researchers said the rate of kidney failure in the donors was lower than that reported in the general population.

Most of the donors tested had good kidney function and reported an excellent quality of life, the study found.

NASH: This is truly GREAT news, but not surprising.  I've researched the heck out of this issue.  That's why I feel so comfortable to do it.  Surely one of you knows someone who knows someone who can help me get my kidney to a soldier.   2009 is the year that my kidney will be transplanted.  Since China is my home, I'd like for a Chinese to have it.  However, if need be, I will travel overseas and donate it elsewhere.  That would be a pity as that will mean that a Chinese person will die.  Please HELP.  

You can read the entire article here. [color]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-6 01:54:40 |Display all floors
I've created a new website to explain and promote my efforts to donate my spare kidney.  I will donate my kidney this year.  

Please take a look at my new website, just click the following: A Kidney for a Soldier

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-4 23:11:20 |Display all floors

Last Chance....

Since no Chinese soldier has taken me up on my offer - despite my best efforts - I am opening my offer up to all Chinese.  But you'll have to hurry.  I am scheduled to return to America next week and, if the tests are okay, I will be giving my kidney away there.  There are three young people (20 - 34 years old) in my hometown who all need a kidney.  Whether I give it to an American or a Chinese doesn't really matter to me.  I just want to do something good with it.  (It is a 'spare' kidney, one that I don't need.) Click this link: My Spare Kidney

Please contact me NOW if you need a kidney, or if you know someone who does.  By the way, and importantly, I'm also going to be offering my liver...or, part of my liver.  In the course of my latest research, I've discovered that I can share that with someone and save their life also.  And my liver regrows to its full size in just a month.

If I haven't said it before, let me say it here, my blood type is A.  This is important for potential recipients to know.

[ Last edited by deananash at 2009-5-4 11:32 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-5 09:47:11 |Display all floors

Reply #74 deananash's post

You can't offer your liver, but I'm glad you said "or part thereof". Have you thought of the implications to you when/if you do such things. I applaud your public spirited gesture but, well, need I say more! Good luck dean.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-16 14:24:33 |Display all floors

HOT TOPIC: 杨义成 and Nash Laoshi - Nash pleads "MERCY"

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D1

And then, if you like it, please send it to a friend; I wanna come 'home'.

Thanks for your time.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.