Views: 143193|Replies: 75

I have a "spare kidney" and a soldier is wanted [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-26 20:41:37 |Display all floors
Back in 1992, upon returning to America, after having lived in Venezuela for 3 years, I did the research and decided to donate my spare kidney.  How I arrived at that decision isn't germane to this conversation, but the research that I did is.  

Simply enough, there is minimal risk in donating a kidney, even while you are alive.  The only real danger involves the statistic that 3 out of 10,000 donors will die of complications.  (I'll address this later.)  Otherwise, the donor can expect to live a long, healthy and normal life.  Oh yeah, as a person who would then only have one kidney, contact sports should no longer be played.  Other than that, everything else is no different than if you had two kidneys.

Although it wasn't illegal at the time, no hospital would even talk to me about it, and so, regrettably, I set it aside.  Until a couple of years ago.  I've been living in China since 2003 and in 2006 I read about a new organization called MatchingDonors.com  www.MatchingDonors.com It seems that American society had finally caught up with medical science and now you can donate a kidney to a stranger.  

Since I'm in outstanding health - earlier this year, my Chinese doctor said that I was an "ideal" candidate for kidney donation - I decided that I still want to donate my spare kidney.  Only now, I want to donate it to a Chinese citizen, and preferably a soldier.  Thus the title of my post.  

Why a soldier?  I'm glad you asked that.  Here is a brief quote from an article about the Sichuan Earthquake relief efforts:

Nearby the school, the leader of a rescue crew preparing to dig into yet another ruined building gave his team a pep talk.

“In my whole life, I’ve never done anything like this, I’ve never seen anything like this, but we must be soldiers now,” said the leader, Yang Xin.

“We must fully do our duties,” he said. “You are my flesh and blood, and the people buried in here are our flesh and blood.”

So there it is.  A perfect reason why I want my spare kidney to go to a soldier.  My blood is type "A" and I can assure you that I am most serious about this.  You can contact me through my China Daily forum account.

We'll have some convincing to do, but since we have science on our side, I am confident that the government (and the Party) will do the right thing.

And about those odds (3 out of 10,000), let's just say that when I die, that is how I want to die, saving as many others as possible.  Don't misunderstand me, I don't want to die, but since it is our fate, well then I would prefer to have my death be more meaningful than simply 'he's gone'.  And it will be because then there will be 2 kidneys, my heart, lungs, liver, corneas, etc...

If you are a soldier, or if you know a soldier please share this news with them, even if they themselves don't need a kidney.  I need to spread the word, and because I'm not literate in Chinese, I need your help to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Dean A. Nash

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-30 17:19:05 |Display all floors
It seems you are a sainter.

I am not a soldier and don't know a soldier either.

Good luck for you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-30 17:39:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by deananash at 2008-6-26 20:41
Back in 1992, upon returning to America, after having lived in Venezuela for 3 years, I did the research and decided to donate my spare kidney.  How I arrived at that decision isn't germane to this ...

We know of a person who gave one kidney to his elder brother....

his elder brother lived for several but met with an accident where the bus plunge down the mountain valley. He died with his wife beside him
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-30 20:52:23 |Display all floors
Anyway,You are  a kind internationalist,more brave,virtuous than others.
Good luck for you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 01:53:43 |Display all floors
Nali, nali.  While I do appreciate all of your kind words, I don't really think that there is anything particularly special about me doing this.  Everyone is different (thank God!).  For me, this is really quite easy and not even very risky.  (I have an identical twin brother so between the two of us, we've four healthy kidneys.  He has never said that he would give me his kidney should I need it, but then again, he's also never said that he wouldn't.)

I NEED YOUR HELP.  I NEED TO FIND A SOLDIER.   Another reason to give it to a soldier is because I RESPECT them so very much.  See, to me, being a soldier is something that I could NEVER do.  For me, that would be a HUGE sacrifice.  

One of my important life philosophies comes from Aristotle: "IF WE CAN, THEN WE MUST!"  This is something that I can do, ergo I must.  Please contact those you know who might know someone who knows a soldier.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 02:12:52 |Display all floors

YOU & your story have touched me by...

hi, deana--i have learned from & good luck to you with your humane work style  :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 03:24:40 |Display all floors
Sorry to be the skunk at the picnic, but to use pjtran's expression, this whole idea sounds a little "kookoo" to me.

I doubt if there is a crying need for "kidneys for the PLA!".

Why don't you just make a big donation to Sichuan Earthquake Relief, and hold on to the kidneys until you are in the next world?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.