Author: jordan_c_fan

Is China Ready To Be The Leader Of The World?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-25 11:20:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jordan_c_fan at 2008-6-25 08:16
for ways to enhance China's position as world leader.  ...

It would appear that you have already made up your mind that China is the 'world leader'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 11:50:34 |Display all floors

Reply #6 cnoabt's post

Agreed, but China seems to be heading towards superpower status. Look what happens when you attain such status....you're reviled for trying and criticised for doing nothing just as the US is now. I hope that, should China get to that stage, she is able to deal with it peacefully. The Chinese people deserve their day in the sun and whether they get it or not depends on the leadership of China and how they deal with the rest of the world. If recent events are anything to go by, then I don't have very high hopes. Recent events being the Olympic torch protests and Tbt and Chinas angry reaction to the antics of just a few in more liberal and democratic countries. Just as the world shouldn't, and doesn't revolve around the US, nor does it or should it revolve around the PRC or her citizens opinion....something to bear in mind in future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 12:17:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cnoabt at 2008-6-25 11:17
As a Chinese, I don't want China to become next superpower like the US. China should be a peaceful and wealthy country!

I agree this
Spirit can be luxurious but life can not be blundering!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 12:25:27 |Display all floors

Reply #9 exportedkiwi's post

Yes! We are very angry. I am totally irritated by these clowns: wall-to-wall grossly unfair coverage by many well-known Western outlets from BBC, CNN, The Economics, Mcleans';  the pratfalls of Hollywood clowns, eg. Sharon Stone, Speilberg; the Western politicos, Sarkozy, Paris Mayor, Hillary Hilton, Nancy Pelosi.

A peaceful China doesn’t mean China should be a whipping boy or yes-man to the West. We will adhere to our peaceful path. Now China and Japan are to exploit gas reserves in the disputed water of East China Sea under a long-awaited deal that has proved this. Japanese PM Yasuo Fukuda commented that the deal turns it the sea of peace and friendship.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 14:26:21 |Display all floors

Reply #11 cnoabt's post

You need to develop a thicker skin as individuals and as a nation. I don't think anybody expects China to be a whipping boy and if they do, more fool them but being oversensitive doesn't help resolve issues. Having this sort of attention is what happens when you are on the world stage. Wait until China is expected, as the US often is, to send troops somewhere, for something and they do the wrong thing either by intent or accident. It's then that China will realise the hell the US goes through on a daily basis regarding world opinion. Remember, the majority of Iraqis and Afghans were happy when Saddam and the Taliban were ousted...it was the aftermath which has led to the image problem they have today.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 14:27:04 |Display all floors
China can't exactly be leader of the world until it manages to organise itself properly.  My general impression of China over the 5 years I've been here brings to mind the proverbial 'pissup in a brewery' expression...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 14:44:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2008-6-25 14:26
You need to develop a thicker skin as individuals and as a nation.

Dear Kiwi,

I didn't believe that words were typed by the hands of yours. Well, just several days ago, you just told me
"scrumbag" is a bad word angrily. Why didn't you tell yourself " I need to develop a thicker skin as individuals". One may steal a horse while another may not look over the hedge. I hope it is not your motto.

Why does Chinese people and China have to grin and bear it? We Chinese are not the yellow version of Uncle Tom. It is not trait of Chinese people. If Westerners don't respect Chinese, they don't dream to make a buck from China. That is why French luxury brand Christina Dior dropped Sharon Stone in its Chinese market.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.