Author: chrisaaron

The coming war_iran, what should we do? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-25 10:37:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-6-24 18:44
Nothing.

If the Israelis attack Iran, there's nothing you can do about it and none of your protesting matters a wit to them. Unlike you, they're among the targets of Iran's nuclear program.

I agree with your first sentiment, as the Israelis have little concern with world opinion of their actions, but this is not a good thing.

It must be remembered; In the early days of its re-establishment, when Israeli terrorist groups (the Irgun) bombed the British and Palestinians, the very members who conducted such acts became government officials (Menachem Begin). They were never held accountable for the deaths of civilians, nor demonstrated any remorse for their actions. There was no public outcry condemning their actions and these same individuals are revered by many today. Because the Israelis won.... the Irgun became "freedom fighters" rather than terrorists.

Israel is not a country whose past is free of controversy, so there should be no expectation that any action they take is inherently correct or right. Not to mention that a pre-emptive strike by them has global consequence, and as such should be subject to global review (whether intercession, authorization, or penalty).

It is not fair to ask countries like China to respect world opinion, but then to treat Israel as if it is exempt.

------------------
As to the second, I have no doubt that Israel would be a target (much like the U.S.S.R. targetting the U.S. and visa versa), but I suspect the Iranians want nukes for a more immediate concern.... prevention of U.S. conventional ground attack. The Iranians know, as do most nations today, that the only counter to the overwhelming conventional force (and technology) of the U.S. is nuclear. The U.S. will not invade a nation that actually has nuclear capability, though they might conduct air strikes on those lacking ranged delivery systems.

And even if the above did not exist... Iran is currently a target of Israeli nuclear weapons (an arsenal of hundreds), so why should it be a surprise that Iran would want a similar capability?
------------
This doesn't mean I favor Iran having nuclear weapons, but there are still other methods left to try to negotiate a resolution besides military intervention. Because there are, if Israel were to strike now I don't feel their action would be justified.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 12:18:18 |Display all floors

MAD..

..in the ME.

Let's assume Israel's "worst nightmare" comes true, and Iran develops a nuclear weapon. So what? The Iranians know that as soon as they put their finger on the nuclear button, Iran will be destroyed. For all their bluster, they aren't so stupid as to commit suicide.

Probably, Israel is more concerned with the regional political ramifications of Iran developing into a nuclear power. For that, the best solution would be for Israel to construct a peace treaty with Syria and the Palestinians.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 12:32:42 |Display all floors

Reply #8 cbcronin's post

Even if Iran had nukes, they'd be damned fools to use them against the US. it's likely that, should they (Iran) acquire nukes, they'll be fairly short ranged and unable to hit CONUS but any attack on US forces with any WMD will incur a response in kind....not worth it for Iran unless it wants to be a sea of glass or a radioactive parking lot.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 12:58:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-6-25 07:44
Nothing.

If the Israelis attack Iran, there's nothing you can do about it and none of your protesting matters a wit to them. Unlike you, they're among the targets of Iran's nuclear program.

The USA already lied about Iraq and will probably produce all manner of lies about Iran.

While I dislike Iran's shariah-based islamic laws, to me that is Iran's internal matters.  What right do we have to invade them?  None whatsoever

If the UK army gets involved in an attack on Iran, I might change nationality.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 13:29:38 |Display all floors

Not Our Crusade

Westerners had tried for MANY centuries to exterminate Islam, and had always failed.  An invasion of Iran would just be another episode in the bloodlust of white men.

To think how much less suffering the world would have (or have had), if there never were Judaism and all the other monotheistic "-isms" that flowed from it - the many brands of Christianity, and of course Islam.  Among themselves they probably accounted for about half of untimely human deaths in the last thousand years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 13:43:32 |Display all floors
Kiwi,

Doubtful. The US would be unlikely to retaliate against Iran simply because it possesses overwhelming conventional forces. The most the US would do is take the strike as exempting it fully from Geneva and proceed to win with unrestricted warfare. Launching nukes at a country (1) you can overwhelm conventionally and (2) whose people you hold as not responsible for its government would be problematic.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 13:45:39 |Display all floors
CB,

This is untrue. The US has had war plans for engaging states suspected of possessing nuclear capacity and is prepared to do so if push comes to shove. Moreover, delivery possibilities for Iran are extremely limited and any rocket technology they could both acquire and assemble domestically will be both unhardened and likely susceptible to anti-missile systems already in place for more conventional threats.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.