Views: 20618|Replies: 120

If the West Stop Causing Trouble, This is What We Would be Like ... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-21 18:45:54 |Display all floors
Tibetan woman 'so proud' to carry torch for third time
By Lin Shujuan
China Daily Staff Writer
Updated: 2008-06-21 09:19

In 1990, a 14-year-old Tibetan girl lit a flame at the foot of Mount Tangula, to start the torch relay for the Beijing Asian Games.

Eighteen years later, Dawa Yangzong will today run a leg of the Olympic torch relay in her hometown of Lhasa.
"To be honest, I had no idea about the Asian Games or the Olympics when I lit the torch 18 years ago," Dawa Yangzong, who is now the mother of a 7-year-old boy, said.

"It wasn't until I attended the opening and closing ceremonies of the Asian Games that I realized how big a sports event it was."

Dawa Yangzong, who now works as a teacher at Tibet University, said she was probably selected to light the flame because of her sunny smile and classical Tibetan features. Whatever the reason, the honor stimulated her interest in sport.

"I have been interested in sport ever since, and always keep a close eye on big events like the Olympics," she said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-21 20:29:03 |Display all floors

Be magnanimous .

First let us celebrate the success of the Torch relay through the Tibetan segment . All went off peacefully and in good spirit .  Security was heavy after the recent deathly riots and so it should be. The trouble makers knew that this is not the time to stick their necks out.

Buddy , the west has lost their empire , their free labor and resources , their prestige , their colonies and their power .  If you and I were to be in their position , I think we too would be p!ssed off watching the rise and rise of this sleeping dragon called Zhongguo !  It is with some considerable trepidation and tremor as they watch which way this Dragon is going . We should be mindful of their self generated fear and do things to reassure them that they have nothing to fear from us .  We would like to treat everyone  who treat us equal as equal .

Meantime , let us be generous and patient . We should also learn that not all barb hurt . Cheers and regards.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-21 20:45:28 |Display all floors
Westerners  do not really want China strong.Now that we have chance to hold the  match,we should let it sucessful.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-21 20:47:32 |Display all floors
we chinese have the chance to show our country in the Game,and we are proud of it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-21 21:41:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by buddy35 at 2008-6-21 18:45
Tibetan woman 'so proud' to carry torch for third time

In 1990, a 14-year-old Tibetan girl lit a ...

"I have been interested in sport ever since, and always keep a close eye on big events like the Olympics," she said.

In 2004, when she was chosen as a torchbearer for the Athens Olympics, Dawa Yangzong said she was thinking all the time about "how wonderful it would be to carry the torch for the Beijing Olympics".

Dawa Yangzong holds a Beijing Olympic torch. [China Daily]
dawa.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-21 21:43:01 |Display all floors
She was chosen for this year's event via a public selection process sponsored by the Lenovo Group.
Her experiences as a torchbearer, and the ensuing publicity, helped shape her life over the past decade, she said.

As a result of her celebrity, she even managed to land acting roles in several TV series and films, most of them Tibet related, she said.

Some people even consider her as an image ambassador for Tibet, she said.

"I've done lots of interviews with the media, especially since the completion of the Qinghai-Tibet railway," she said.

"People are becoming increasingly interested in Tibet, and many have told me that their first thoughts about the place came from me.

"I feel like I am a representative of Tibetan people, of Tibetan culture and its picturesque natural scenery and unique ecology, even though I am just a normal Tibetan leading an ordinary life.

"It is a great honor to be the final torchbearer. I couldn't be prouder, knowing I am showing the rest of China and the world the very best of Tibet."

Dawa Yangzhong in 1990. [China Daily]
dawa 1990.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-21 21:46:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 441424 at 2008-6-21 20:48

that you are serious about openness. You ow it not alone to the world but more so to your own people.

What more proof do you need than this young woman's example?

Congratulation Ms. Dawa Yangzong, I am very impress by the story about you. I wish the Dalai Lama will read the story about you and I wish he turn on his television to watch you holding the torch, your friends and people all walks of life in Tibet celebrate Beijing Olympic in Lasha, its fantastic for him and Richard Geer to see how much Tibet has changed and how good life the Tibetan in Tibet are enjoying. I am sorry I can not afford to go to Beijing to join you and others to celebrate this historic event, I hope someday I can come to visit China. Good Luck Dawa, Good luck Beijing Olympic. best wishes to China.
-- ben

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.