Author: buddy35

What are the Problems with American Food?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-12 12:49:30 |Display all floors

Reply #1 buddy35's post

Amerikan food is easy.

Two buns of bread, a piece of cheese, a patter of minced beef, some vegetable salad, french fries, and a sweetened soda.
That's the Amerikan dream food.

The Koreans are just smart not to accept CRAB from the Amerikans.
since the same meat would still arrive when they eat the burgers in Mc Donalds, Wendy etc.

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-12 22:46:36 |Display all floors
There are quite a few problems, some of which are tied directly to this administration.

Two that would be of issue, without Bush in the White House, would be genetically modified crops and steroids/anti-biotics. Though some GM crops, such as those better suited for resisting drought, are quite benign... the ones modified to resist insects should be of serious concern. As to the treatment of animals with human anti-biotics and steroids, they should be globally banned.

The issues directly tied to Bush would be testing. Bush falsely supports the idea that companies will honestly police themselves and is against the testing of agricultural products for certain issues. Not only has the USDA funding been cut, they have refused to mandate testing (or even to allow independent testing) for  Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease) in the U.S..

When the agencies and authorities responsible for the health and welfare of citizens, puts financial interests ahead of the public, then those agencies have lost their mandate and should face criminal prosecution alongside of the companies they protect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-13 00:44:56 |Display all floors
"I've eaten in at least twenty-five countries around the world and I've probably felt more safe eating in the USA than anywhere else. I don't think I've ever been sick from eating American food, but I can't say that about food from my home and native land, or other places I've been.

Most of the examples quoted above are probably true, probably exaggerated, or maybe taken out of context.  This isn't really a discussion of food safety, it is another "crap on the USA" thread.

We take a risk everytime we put something in our mouths. People do get sick from bad food. We can probably say that American food is the worst in the world, except for all the other countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-13 02:17:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2008-6-12 11:44
"I've eaten in at least twenty-five countries around the world and I've probably felt more safe eating in the USA than anywhere else. I don't think I've ever been sick from eating American foo ...

I agree with you, American food is still probably the safest in comparison to many places around the world.

My concern is that the enforcement of standards, set in the past, have been in steady decline. The food recalls (and quantity involved in each) over the past six years have increased to levels not seen in thirty to forty years. The quantity involved can be attributed to the massive increase of food processed (in comparison to when I was a child), but the decrease of government inspection certainly affects the frequency.

The issue with specific GM crops and steroid/anti-biotic use in cattle, are concerns entirely seperate from the possible threat of food contamination. Though safe to eat, the effect on the surrounding environment and long term effects on a population are in question. The regular use of anti-biotics ultimately leads to bacterial resistant strains, while steroid use can affect waterways by Urea. Those steroids aren't treated/removed by chemical treatment processes and will be absorbed by a population if the waterway is used as a potable water source. The environmental effect on fish populations are also quite disturbing, though they are also affected by other sources... such as human waste containing artificial hormones (as from birth control pills.).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-13 05:01:39 |Display all floors

Food and Drug Administration...

Originally posted by buddy35 at 6/11/08 02:32 AM
Consumers are urged to avoid certain tomatoes amid the present salmonella scare. To avoid the current outbreak of salmonella in tomatoes, consumers are told to employ a little detective work and fo ...

"The FDA ( Federal Death Administration) approves vitually anything Big Business wants approved, with shady sometime bad science and back door practices at the risk of the American peoples health. This is the same FDA, who allows up to 8% fecal matter in ground beef  and then has too few inspectors and others quitting because they get threatened for finding problems when inspecting."

BUT the tomatoes from NYS are safe for your salads & burgers  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-13 06:15:36 |Display all floors

Spin doctors.

ronglimeng is the picture of Rambo on the move !  " See if I care " attitude .  Buddy , it needs only one food contamination to knock you off the planet . Think about it .

This is a subject based on facts , lots of them ( see #1 ) . To whitewash this because it occurred in the US (  I am sure you would not have been so sanguine if this has happened in China ) is dangerous and hypocritical .

All GM foods confer on companies the total control of seeds , insecticides and herbicides' sale for eternity . This is food supply in the monopoly of one or two companies ( and Americans ) . Scary ! is this the word ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-13 07:02:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-6-12 17:15
ronglimeng is the picture of Rambo on the move !  " See if I care " attitude .  Buddy , it needs only one food contamination to knock you off the planet . Think about it .

Th ...

I really don't believe that was ronglimeng's intent. I think he just wished to clarify that even though there are issues, the overall food quality situation is not as bad as some might wish others to believe.
---
I also believe you are correct, in that it only takes one serious outbreak to threaten public safety.... Salmonella is probally not the one to be "overly" worked up about, but if it can occur with salmonella it can occur with more threatening microbes.

I felt the same way as you do concerning GM crops, years ago when I learned that they don't produce seed. I thought it was horrible to hold such sway over the heads of those who might not be able to afford seed every year.... but the truth is that they don't have to use GM seed. Another approach might be to grow normal crops, with only a small potion of the crop as GM (as a "safety net").

In this way, if the weather is bad (drought) or insect infestation (even though I don't like the idea of insect resistant crops)... at least there will be some crop to harvest.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.