Author: pegasus01

why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-11 10:52:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-11 10:48
But where are they? ...

You should learn Chinese and visit numerous local blogs, instead of just teaching English and cursing your students behind their back.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 11:12:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-11 11:10
My wife reads plenty of those blogs, and she shares some with me; sorry to say, most of them would not have been allowed to exist five years back. And many defy moral and legal restrictions too; raw sex, rumour mongering, blackmail, morbid diaries...you name it, you find it in China! ...

Did she know that you curse her "goon and thug" behind her back?
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 14:55:28 |Display all floors
What western "civilization" can teach the east = ZERO.

What we can learn from the sum total of western knowledge = ZERO.

Can they teach us more than Confucius?
Can they give us higher thoughts than those from Taoism or Buddhism?

The only thing they have given us are from Hollywood!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 15:03:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2008-6-11 13:12
Did she know that you curse her "goon and thug" behind her back?

Northwest,
When will you learn that just because someone calls people like you a "goon and thug", doesn't mean they think that the vast majority of sensible, ordinary Chinese people have crawled out from under the same rock?
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 18:29:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-6-11 15:03
Northwest,
When will you learn that just because someone calls people like you a "goon and thug", doesn't mean they think that the vast majority of sensible, ordinary Chinese people  ...

I don't think Cafferty dare to do that if China's military arsenal is as big as today's US arsenal.

For your comment, it's not usual for you to curse everything Chinese. This is a non-white nation that develop without following western prescription and doing quite well. China's development starting to upset your supremacist mentality. See how you hail Timor as your model nation, a nation bullied under your gunpoint and most of the oil benefit run to your pocket.

But accept the reality emucc, if you live your life lazily, dilligent Chinese will easily beat you. Don't rely upon weak neighbors to live your pathethic life.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 18:34:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pegasus01 at 2008-6-9 19:56
one thing is always beyond my mind, that is why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? are we lacking of imagination? i wonder

Because merely writing about China as it exists is crazy/exciting/surreal enough. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 18:45:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-10 21:48
Personally, I couldn't care less about sci-fi works; they are marginal even in western societies' book-reading lubs.

As literary works, few sci-fi works could compete with Shakespeare (though Herbert, Asimov, Clarke, Card, and Niven have done a great service in our time).... but good sci-fi or even bad sci-fi can lead to innovation. From Star Trek to Star Wars tech.... (even the "powersuits" of Japanese anime :)) have inspired people whose concepts have become or will soon be a reality.

So I guess it depends on who reads the sci-fi that decides whether the genre is marginal or not, especially since people like Bill Gates read quite a bit of sci-fi as a child.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.