Author: pegasus01

why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-10 18:18:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-6-10 19:28
Well, I'd just point out that Japan has tons of science fiction. I agree, though, that ideology in China prevents looks at the future. You can't pain a creative picture of China's future, that job belongs to the CPC's advertising department and woe to those who question it....

You may be right !

Originally posted by expatter at 2008-6-10 19:40
I just wondered whether the Industrial Revolution was possibly the spur in this for Europeans ......and therefore people wondering where this age of marvels would lead them.

I reckon that would have been a contributing factor too.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-11 00:02:52 |Display all floors

Seneca

Yes, it is about the  time of the Industrial Reveolution (early 1800's) we start to get moon stories, although there was just one earlier in 1625.  But this was an attempt to persuade the establishment that the earth was round and not flat.

I wonder if he succeeded!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 00:04:49 |Display all floors
This is of importance to the people from the Land of Donald Duck:

Originally posted by pegasus01 at 2008-6-9 19:56
one thing is always beyond my mind, that is why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? are we lacking of imagination? i wonder

They crave fiction and/or science fiction as a release for their unhappiness and sad state of existence.
In China, we are facing the effects of an earthquake!
I think that this sort of battle against the elements and nature is of more importance to us.
Also the problems of poverty is a more pressing issue than writing a book for neaderthals to feel good about.

Science fiction is nothing new to China and India.
Go back over 5000 years and you will find examples.
The Chinese has done that, seen it and wore the T-shirt.

Even the Indians in their Sanskrit epics spoke of vimānas which were mythical flying machines, or "spiritual airplanes".

I could write a science fiction article for the TV generation in the US if people want me too.
I have got some good ideas.
Do you want to hear them?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 00:27:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-10 23:24
Not only are Chinese youths not guided towardsdeveloping their imagination, they are not even taught how to properly appreciate literature in general. Look at any English novel in any of Xinhua's b ...

Without reading, civilization would disappear in one generation.
------Russell, Literature for Civilization

We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading.
------Skinner

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 01:08:12 |Display all floors

Hm...

... my two cents in the matter:

There probably has been a few writters - but due political baggage - they are probably dead or in "re-education" somewhere.

But it is funny to see a question that stuns a lot of forumites, and others, into perplexed silence.  Then again, it has always been easier to copy than it has to create.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-11 01:19:05 |Display all floors

TraderVic

Hi there,

So that kind of begs the question. Do all writers of fiction use politics in their writing, or is it just the Chinese?  If you are an artist in China does that give you a propensity for being anti-establishment.  Just a question.

Sadly, it is easier for writers to just emmulate in China rather than invent.  What about a scenario where the Chinese Government unfurls its flag before anyone else in the whole of outerspace?   Surely that one would get through, something extremely nationalistic.  Maybe it might end up just a "B" movie, but still a thought.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 01:26:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-6-11 01:08
There probably has been a few writters - but due political baggage - they are probably dead or in "re-education" somewhere.   ...

Those financed by your batallion? Like how you elevate a serf owner to be a loving god?

But it is funny to see a question that stuns a lot of forumites, and others, into perplexed silence.  Then again, it has always been easier to copy than it has to create.

I admire your professionalism and commitment to your career Mr. Panda. Your job requires you to research on China and find its shortcomings, yet you take it personal and become exciting when you meet the requirement of your batallion.

But please don't forget, your favoritest invention of all time: the BOMB is originated on Chinese invention of firecracker.

" it has always been easier to copy than it has to create"
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.