Author: pegasus01

why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-10-27 03:37:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2008-10-26 06:00

I majored in Biology and minored in Geology. I have worked in Industrial Waste Water and for a pharmaceutical company.

That in my mind equals a "Science Background".

Well, that explains a lot!

I wouldn't exactly call them proper science.
No wonder that you have come out with the silly statements that you have.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-27 10:05:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by buddy35 at 2008-10-26 14:37

Well, that explains a lot!

I wouldn't exactly call them proper science.
No wonder that you have come out with the silly statements that you have.

So what does a nuclear physicist / rocket scientist / stellar cartographer, such as yourself, consider proper science?

The only thing "silly" seems to be.... that the more you respond, in the way that you have, the deeper you fall.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-27 15:30:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2008-10-27 10:05

So what does a nuclear physicist / rocket scientist / stellar cartographer, such as yourself, consider proper science?

The only thing "silly" seems to be.... that the more you respon ...

Exactly those, as well as Mathematicians and Chemists, who do more exacting science.
Maybe, in a century or two, Biology will be classed as a "proper" science.

Anyway, as a "scientist" you would know that it was "silly" to link the idea that real scientists read science fiction for inspiration.
Very stupid, indeed.

Let us say that you are correct, for the moment.
Does that mean that the numerous Chinese scientists who are heading university and research departments in the US are not creative or imaginative?
Does it mean that the Chinese scientists who are now exploring space are not imaginative or creative?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-28 03:09:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by buddy35 at 2008-10-27 02:30
Exactly those, as well as Mathematicians and Chemists, who do more exacting science.
Maybe, in a century or two, Biology will be classed as a "proper" science.

This statement tells me that your educational background is not in science, as biology is one of the oldest fields of science. The present day requirements for biology go beyond taxonomy; calculus, chemistry, organic chem., genetics, etc.
-------------------------
Anyway, as a "scientist" you would know that it was "silly" to link the idea that real scientists read science fiction for inspiration.
Very stupid, indeed.

It would be if I had said that, I actually said some were inspired what they had seen or read as children. It might be better if you re-read what I actually wrote.... it is only a few posts back.

P.S. You still haven't offered the biographies you have read to support your opposing view.
--------------------------
Let us say that you are correct, for the moment.
Does that mean that the numerous Chinese scientists who are heading university and research departments in the US are not creative or imaginative?
Does it mean that the Chinese scientists who are now exploring space are not imaginative or creative?

Why are you injecting race into the equation? Is your position so fragile you have to use such a cowardly tactic?

Race has nothing to do with it. I suspect that if Science-Fiction had been prevalent in Chinese society for the last century, we wouldn't be wondering when China would land on the moon.... we would be reading about it in history books.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-28 07:08:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2008-10-28 03:09
Race has nothing to do with it. I suspect that if Science-Fiction had been prevalent in Chinese society for the last century, we wouldn't be wondering when China would land on the moon.... we would be reading about it in history books.

No, that is to do with the Anglos who infested the country with opium.

China accounted for about 30% of World's GDP at that time but then dropped to about 2 % because of western imperialism.
So, of course people had to spend their time working to make ends meet rather than sitting and reading science fiction.

Now that China accounts for about 6 % of the world's GDP, maybe some of its citizens can start reading some of this science fiction that is supposed to be inspiring and produce this "creativity" that you people like to spout on about.

It is a pity that we cannot see any creativity in what you western forumites write.
I see more creativity in the writings of the Chinese forumites.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-28 07:19:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by buddy35 at 2008-10-27 18:08

It is a pity that we cannot see any creativity in what you western forumites write.
I see more creativity in the writings of the Chinese forumites.  

I somewhat agree with you on this point....

as you are also not a "Chinese" forumite.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.