Views: 14702|Replies: 103

why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-9 19:56:56 |Display all floors
one thing is always beyond my mind, that is why so few works of sci-fiction at present age in china? are we lacking of imagination? i wonder

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-9 19:59:41 |Display all floors
nothing is so vital than a thing of future.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-9 21:12:22 |Display all floors

pegasus01

Hi there,

My immediate thought was that Arthur Clarke, Isaac Asimov and others had done this one to death back in the seventies.

Just about anything you could think of even houses that you could grow.  Now that is Green!

When the West fantasized about the future, China fantasized about its past.  I wonder if that is a cultural thing or just the fifference between developed and developing.  Hmmmm!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-9 23:57:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2008-6-9 21:12
Hi there,

My immediate thought was that Arthur Clarke, Isaac Asimov and others had done this one to death back in the seventies.

Just about anything you could think of even houses that you co ...

same feeling, you watch TV and movie and other media, too much backward to past but less forward to future. something wrong certainly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-9 23:59:03 |Display all floors
how to treat future is decisive to road ahead, we are born for future undoubtedly

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-10 02:51:00 |Display all floors
Because historically, China has always considered its past only. Even when a new technology was invented, it was vitally important that it somehow be given the veneer of being ancient.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-10 11:44:57 |Display all floors
You must remember that Sci-fi has been a part of the western world since the 1800s, primarily because of two gentlemen: Jules Verne and HG Wells.... though some might say Mary Shelley had a part  with Frankenstein.

Still, the genre didn't really take off until it spread to other media. Early films like "A Trip To The Moon" in 1902 (or "Metropolis" 1927), dimestore novels, pulp magazines, radio programs like "Flash Gordon", comics, television, etc. all fed the imaginations of children.... who did ultimately read the novels that inspired it all (and possibly became authors/scientists themselves).

Then of'course there was the 1939 World's Fair, which inspired many to believe that science fiction was only a few years from reality. The Art Deco style, that made cars look like rocket ships and buildings that touched the sky; All climaxing with real space race to the moon only a few decades later... pure magic.

Combined at the right time, these events and others (as well as societal elements) made western science fiction what it is today.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.