Views: 3149|Replies: 4

THE BRITS ARE COMIIIING !!! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-4 08:00:36 |Display all floors

The crusaders are here again.

Sixty car enthusiasts and their companions, left London on May 14th and crossed all of western Europe passing nine countries.

Their destination? Tel Aviv.

The motto, from 0 to 60 in 18 days.

This is a british salute to Israel on it’s 60th aniversary.

Yesterday some of them arrived to an hotel near my home and were greated by a crowd of israelies that received the crusaders with flowers and sweet cold sparkling wine.

Vintage Roll Royce’s and Porche’s were the top attraction.

Wellcome to Israel, crusaders …………….  we don’t like you, we like your british guts ………. and your beautiful cars!!!!

After 4000 kilometers the team arrived in Israel and will be here for a while driving across cities, towns and villages all over Israel.

OMG !!! All we needed. Sixtgy more cars to compete for space at our highways.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 09:10:35 |Display all floors
Your post caught my interest and I had a question about the routing of the rally. I answered it myself by googling a few key words.

I read:
" Due to security reasons, organisers took the precaution of transporting rally cars with a cargo carrier to Tel Aviv from Istanbul rather than make the journey through Lebanon and Syria."

If the organisers wanted to take the chance, could they have come through Lebanon and Syria? It kind of spoils the overland idea when they had to put the cars on a boat for the last leg.

Maybe some day it will all be possible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 09:41:17 |Display all floors

Where have all the flowers gone ?

The Brits coming to Tel Aviv ..... don't appear to have anything to do with the  " US " forum !! But then who am I to point these things out .

Congratulations to the Brits with posh cars making it to Tel Aviv .  It is so poignant to think that once , not so long ago , the might of  the British Lion would romp through Syria , Lebanon , Iraq , Iran, Palestine and Egypt with a swagger and a spring in their steps . No natives would even dare look sideways with ill intent .  Those chest out and Jungle Jim days , with wine , whiskey and women ,are far gone now,  aren't they ? So sad and nostalgic .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 10:53:29 |Display all floors

ronglimeng, GREETINGS

The last leg of the trip, from beautiful and exotic (and highly recommended !!!!!) Istanbul to hot, humid, crowded Tel Aviv ........... was on EL AL Cargo airplanes.

The reasons .................. security.

The Hizballah in Lebanon would have made anchovy cans with the cars.
The Syrians would have made grounded meat with the drivers and the companions.

But they are here ............................... we are here ................ and that is all that counts.

Good job !!!

ronglimeng, in the north, by the coast, exactly where the border between Lebanon and Israel has been for the last sixty years, there is a small touristic attraction destination. Rosh Hanikra.

One of the places to visit in Rosh Hanikra, is a cave. A man made cave. Is part of a tunnel where the train from Istanbul used to cross the mountain in the direction to Cairo and Alexandria in Egypt.

I took my children (on those days of the past, when they still would let me take them to places) to the dark and cool cave. I showed them the end of it, a heavy man made wall that separates Israel from Lebanon. I showed them the 100 meters of tracks left on the cave. And I told them, that if I don't do it, .................................. they will have to do it or pass on the responsability to their own children..... ronglimeng, one day, .......................... one day there's going to be peace in the Middle East ...................... and the train will go back from Alexadria to Istanbul.

F

[ Last edited by kaifengavi at 2008-6-4 10:55 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 11:03:54 |Display all floors

Mengzhi, let's give the brits some credit.

The cars, despite all the hardships on the 4000 kilometers covered ............................. were shinning like the sun!!!
In the best of the British Traditions, the drivers and the companions, thoroughly waxed and polished the loyal machines.

Wellcome again !!!
I hope, although I will be able to see it only .......... from 1.6 meters bellow ground zero, that in sixty years ...... you guys do it again!!! ........ and I pray that my grandchildren are still here to great you with flowers and sparkling wine.

[ Last edited by kaifengavi at 2008-6-4 11:05 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.