Author: pegasus01

Anybody has expertise on interracial marriage? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-4 00:14:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-6-3 23:38
Waiting for pegasus01 to comment back...

hi, tradervic, nice to see you. wish y do fine

sorry for busy agenda. time is a out for me to visit here.

thanks much for your invaluable comments on this issue which i am concerned very. i take care any views and opinion brought herein.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 00:37:19 |Display all floors
I take the term "interracial marriage" means....having a long-term partner who does not share the same ethnic background ...like Italian and English, French and English, Filipino and English, Chinese and Japanese, Korean and German, Finnish and Polish, Inuit and Spanish, etc...

If my assumption is correct ( close to what pegasus01 has in mind)... I would like to make a few comments as follows:

Most of my friends and people I know have a a spouse/partner who do not share the same racial background!

Clearly black married a Caucasian or Chinese married a Caucasian would certainly stand out ...Italian and French, or Finnish and Polish would be a bit difficult to be spotted by inexperienced eyes!...many Caucasian couples are "mixed" couples!

So can I generalize my personal experiences and conclude that interracial marriage is very common in Canada?...I don't think so!...I need solid statistical figures to back up my claim...the figures might be out there somewhere...waiting for me to dig them out...OK....if I have a chance, I will do that!

I am  posting an interesting article from University of Calgary "On Campus Weekly"...don't know how recent the article is!...happy reading! :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 00:43:59 |Display all floors
Source: http://www.ucalgary.ca/oncampus/ ... ssing-cultures.html

Febecca Malhi is doing what excites her.

After working 14 years with computers in the Information Technology area, much of the time at a large oil company, Malhi returned to school. A course in the history and theory of psychology sparked her interest, and several years later, Malhi is now on her way to earning a PhD in Psychology.

“ I’ve always been interested in how people think and act,” says Malhi, who has received Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada funding for her research. “And I’m definitely doing what excites me.”

For Malhi, excitement comes in researching interracial marriages. She’s embarked on an ambitious project to examine how Canadians perceive interracial marriages and also examine how individuals involved in interracial marriages cope with the challenges of their relationships.

Malhi will examine how Canada’s multi-culturalism affects society’s perception of interracial marriages. Although a lot of research has been done on interracial marriages in the United States – primarily focusing on African Americans married to Caucasians – in Canada, there is a dearth of information.

“ I want to examine how interracial relationships are different from other romantic relationships,” says Malhi, who was born in India, moved to England as a young child and later came to Canada with her family. “Interracial relationships are rare, and they also appear to experience psychological hardships more than other couples do. For example, couples tend to report being the target of discrimination, negative comments and such when they are in public together.

“ Observers may have no problems with people of different racial backgrounds interacting casually, but once they are put together romantically, then there could be tension. It seems that the relationship itself may be the issue.”

Malhi, who completed her Master of Psychology at the University of Calgary, hopes her research will spark other research in the area, and also provide valuable insights for marriage counsellors and therapists working with interracial couples.
In the first phase of her research, Malhi will survey over 100 people on their perceptions of various relationships, attitudes and beliefs surrounding a variety of relationships. She’ll then interview people about their reactions to people involved in interracial relationships.

Finally, Malhi will interview couples involved in interracial relationships and talk to them about the challenges – both positive and negative – they perceive.

mahli.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 01:51:23 |Display all floors

Inter-cultural

Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2008-6-3 23:04
I think inter*cultural* is the issue here, not inter*racial*.

Jackpot!

If the girl+guy or 2 girls or 2 guys are going to tie the knot, then obviously they know each other well and all issues can be discussed frankly and openly in the privacy of their home.

I throw this at you: how about inter-racial, same sex marriage? Even more contentious and I am sure the Catholic Church would want to have a say in that too. But it happens and I am sure an open frank dialogue is the way to go.

Only recently, last generation's NYC Chinese community went through something of a seismic shock when Chinese girls started dating Afro-Americans. They had this talk-fest on radio asking dial-ins for their opinion, and most were negative. I was shocked. Hell, I wouldn't mind dating Will Smith if I were female.

[ Last edited by cestmoi at 2008-6-4 01:53 AM ]
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 02:06:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 6/3/2008 11:37 AM
Clearly black married a Caucasian or Chinese married a Caucasian would certainly stand out ...Italian and French, or Finnish and Polish would be a bit difficult to be spotted by inexperienced eyes!...many Caucasian couples are "mixed" couples!

<snort> I can vouch for the mixing of the European groups on my side of the family, hands down.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 13:26:06 |Display all floors

Reply #6 jayzee's post

yeah yeah, poor blacks. Give it a rest willya! Next thing you know, we whites will have to stand on the street corner and let them beat ----e outta us for stuff we didn't do to them. Enough of the chip on your collective shoulder...rise above it, do something about it and grow the eff up! It's your life, blame yourself if you aren't what you want to be because the only person who limits you, is you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-4 13:43:03 |Display all floors

Reply #13 renegadedog9's post

bingo!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Just an Opinion

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.