Author: force_one

Consequences of the VISA problems [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-27 01:29:56 |Display all floors
Beijing appears to be less concerned about hosting a global party and more
concerned with making sure no one spoils it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-27 02:17:30 |Display all floors

CHINA worries & cares so much 4 the GODDAM games...

my policy is whoever tryin to be kokoo...i'd hit first & ask later but NOT to worryin others of visitting china  :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-27 03:01:34 |Display all floors

Right after 911

Tightening visa policy was applied. Much tighter security at the airport causes inconvinence. Would you rather do it before or after?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-27 08:22:26 |Display all floors

Hm...

... suffice to say, the jury is still out on this issue folks - given the Olympics have yet to start and the question of inflation and/or recession still hovers in the background.

If anything - the events that have occurred have raised the concern if the business environment is robust enought to deal with a general brooming - or crash like Zimbabwe.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-27 18:02:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-27 17:01
Cases abound; anyone wanting to go to court to fight their expulsion from a farmstead they owned for generations will stand almost zero chance. ...

Individual ownership of rural land effectively ceased when the farms passed into the hands of collectives during the Great Leap Forward. Despite a couple of alternative concepts this was ratified in 1998. and has become firmly enshrined within the constitution. Land usage rights (as seperate from land ownership rights) may be reasigned by the local government. The period of the lease appears to vary and may be a factor.

Leaseholders do not own the subject of the lease - even in the UK. They only own the remainder of the lease.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-28 12:49:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-28 10:57
Fatdragon: I know perfectly well that the State retains ownership rights to all the land of the country, but you surely know that a lease comes with an expiry date - normally 70 years, - and that n ...

Security of tenure on agricultural land is typically 30 years. But that is not going to be reasigned every year so will depreciate.

A friend of ours has recently been advised that the land they occupy for agricultural purposes will be required for development. He has been offered an alternative site to continue his business. That seems to be standard practice.  But then he paid good money for his lease and has apropriate paperwork. Another family who we are friends with have been offered a new apartment in replacement for one formerly occupied by their late grandmother. They are currently arguing the toss for two apartments. It does seem as if the ''compensation'' is negotiable and cannot be assumed on the basis of ancestoral rights rather than a sold contract.

I recently pulled out of a deal because the property being offered granted me title to the property but not to the land it was sitting on. Theoretically the land could be reasigned and I would have no comeback. Maybe a similar scenario exists with agricultural holdings. It's buyer beware
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-28 14:15:15 |Display all floors

Chinese tourism industry is suffering badly

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.