Views: 11919|Replies: 34

Consequences of the VISA problems [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-26 15:07:06 |Display all floors
In my recently visit to Guangzhou, Yiwu and Ningbo meeting suppliers, factories and local and foreign friends I found a common topic in most of our conversations: the Olympic games, the Visa and their problems. What problems? Work problems

Form the foreigners side, Visa, many of them experiencing the problem trying to renewal the famous “F” visa and most of them receiving just 30 days, 15 days, 12 days and many others just 5 or 2 days to stay, just a little time to leave the country.
Many of them working here for a friend’s companies or for themselves.
Many of them who have family and have children in school, definitely for many of them the life is changing in a drastic way  and have to return to their countries.

From the Chinese people's side who I had contact, they experiencing the reduction of orders in some factories or some supplier markets where I visited, talking with a waiters in a western restaurant (a Chinese guy with good English) he told me many of the hotels around the commercial area have the problem of lack of guests, also he explained me the affluence of customers in his restaurant and others around have the same problem.
Talking with a young girl who works as a translator for foreign visitors, she said she used to make 100  yuans per day working sometimes few hours or the whole day but the last weeks she feels lucky if she can work 2 or 3 days per week, her colleagues are living the same experiencie.

As I know many countries from the Middle East will not get the visa and their future is uncertain. One of them who used to shipped out 2 containers in a week, every week, giving work for many local suppliers (and workers) he will return to  his country to see how to solve his visa problem and his future in the Chinese Consulate in his country.

The visa issue in a country is treated as convenience and security for a government and we like it or not we have to respect and to follow the new regulations. But, most of foreigners don’t know exactly what is going on and what is going to happen. In visa offices nobody  provide information and all the applicants just have to resigned to received their passport with a short stay visa mostly with the sadness and anguish to know what to do in the future.

Fortunately I solved my problem long time ago in this matter, but I can not be blind to see how many of my friends experiencing this problem, especially a close friend who has to return to his country with his whole family.

For the Olympic games, for security reasons or for a new way to regulate foreigners to pay taxes or any other reasons, (all are speculations since there is not any official information) I think everybody who respect and have no bad records and follow the law and regulations in this country deserve a better treatment or at least they will deserve to be informed for local offices about the new procedure to obtain the visa.

Foreigners, most of them are here contributing with their work to the improvement of the economy of this country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-26 17:10:00 |Display all floors
Just having a few months 'heads-up' would have been nice.
Alas, transparency is not a prominent trait around here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-26 17:12:08 |Display all floors

My post has been deleted here ...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-26 19:45:48 |Display all floors
Toying with visa rules without long notice (as in years) is a big no-no: it reduces people's confidence in the government and therefore their assessment of risk when doing business in China. Net result: China loses.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-26 23:02:39 |Display all floors
A Hong Kong-based Singaporean, for example, was told to go back to Singapore to get a visa there... The manwas working in HK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-26 23:05:16 |Display all floors
But a far worse case was that of a mainland-based South African English teacher who was given the run-around - the PSB refusing to grant her another one-year RP extension, the Visa Office in HK referring her to a new "rule" obligating her to return to her native South Africa to apply for a new one-year Z visa...

She was preilously low on her funds by the time she learned of this "rule"... and had no choice but to borrow money to fly to Jo'burg.

All this for "security reasons" to do with the Olympics...It will leave a lasting nasty impression on many!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-27 12:05:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-5-26 19:45

Net result: China loses.   

Agreed

I was witness of this loses in chinese suppliers

Hoping everybody can get a soon answer and solution for the benefits of  ALL

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.