Author: middleway

China Has "Officially" Entered The Next Level Of Development [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-24 19:15:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-5-24 18:58
MW,

Your history is quite confused. Prior to 1820, European powers couldn't make inroads into China, so China's decline isn't the result of Europe. ...

Yes, you are correct. They couldn't make inroads into China.

Reason for this? China didn't NEED anything off them!

Result of China not needing anything of them? European powers became frustrated and annoyed by China's closed society and the fact that they weren't dropping to their knees in fascination at how wonderfully advanced Europe was.

(One thing I will admit though, the Chinese were a little arrogant themselves in their thinking towards Europe, unaware of their superiority in areas such as weapons and military)

[ Last edited by middleway at 2008-5-24 07:17 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 19:20:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middleway at 2008-5-24 19:15
Result of China not needing anything of them? European powers became frustrated and annoyed by China's closed society and the fact that they weren't dropping to their knees in fascination at how wonderfully advanced Europe was.

and once again I ask the question... what has changed since then?????

:) :) :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 19:25:58 |Display all floors
MW,

Our oldest solid evidence of routine banking in the West comes from Hammurabi's code, which includes specific banking regulations. If you don't like that interpretation of "West" the Greeks had banks and Delos was a major banking center in the 3rd century BC, making it the first international banking center of note. Europe had been using paper money since approximately 1660. The lag in uptake was directly related to the fact that Europe had much more international trade, requiring a currency whose value was not dependent on "full faith and credit" and could be redeemed regardless of the international situation, making gold a staple. Of course, the US operated primarily on paper currency during the colonial period, issuing commodity notes, particularly tobacco notes in Virginia, due to restrictions on the transfer of silver to the New World. China, meanwhile, had ended paper money in 1455 due to hyperinflation.

By 1820, Chinese philosophy had been in stagnation for roughly 600 years and, arguably, had stopped producing major innovations far earlier. Western philosophy, along with Western science, is considered to have begun with Thales around 600 BC (born 625 BC) and has continued in an unbroken tradition ever since.

As to foods, I'm not a historian of foodstuffs so much, but I seriously doubt that European food was bad in 1820, especially since I know there are a number of staples which date to the middle ages.

Finally, Europe created more powerful weapons to fight other Europeans or to fight Muslims during the Crusades (recall, please, that Europeans saw the Muslims as invaders in Christian territory, etc.).
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 19:41:33 |Display all floors

Nosey and interfering B@st@rds.

Before you lot of  " experts " and patronizing so-n-so get too carried away , let me tell you one open secret . China is keen to be accepted as equal amongst the fellow member nations around the world  , but she is no longer going to tolerate this  head master lecturing stance of the ex-colonials , thank you .  China has done a marvelous gold standard rescue operation for the huge number ( 5 million ) of victims in this earthquake mainly on her own . This is done simply because the Chinese government is benevolent and the people support their government . If this meets your standard , good for you . If it does not  , how you say  ? Fcuk off  or something like that ?

These sermons , unrequested and unappreciated , from the well passed " use-by-date " descendants of the
colonial powers , is tiresome and tiring , Don't you guys have some other important things to fix at home ? Recession , quagmire of war , loss of jobs and manufacture ........ ?  Once a megaphone user , always a megaphone in-your-face bore huh ?

[ Last edited by mengzhi at 2008-5-24 07:43 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 19:49:28 |Display all floors
emmmm, it is promised by chinese government that the hometown which destroyed in that earthquak will be reconstructed within three months .
it sounds good and hopeful for thoes who lost their house

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 20:00:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by clarissa at 2008-5-24 19:49
emmmm, it is promised by chinese government that the hometown which destroyed in that earthquak will be reconstructed within three months .
it sounds good and hopeful for thoes who lost their hous ...

That sounds very fast Clarissa. Perhaps the Government means rebuilt with ''temporary'' housing? I would estimate that it will take between 3 to 5 years to permanantly rebuild all villages, towns and cities.

I hope your family and friends are managing OK.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 20:42:21 |Display all floors
ignoring mengzi, the voice of china, i had more to write on this, to do with the thought processes affecting development, but i gotta go to bed, later.

I'll fix the recession at home whilst you fix the inflation in CHina :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.