Author: reportersh

In time of Disaster, the West doesn't forget to bash China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-22 21:14:27 |Display all floors

Reply #23 satsu_jin's post

This goes to show that those in need transcend nationalities and are human first. Don't you all think it's high time we extended that to other arenas and not only let it show during times of emergency.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-5-22 21:17:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2008-5-22 22:14
This goes to show that those in need transcend nationalities and are human first. Don't you all think it's high time we extended that to other arenas and not only let it show during times of emerge ...

Kiwi,

I fully agree with what you've said. I would like to see this and maybe this time will come again. I really hope so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-22 21:21:23 |Display all floors

Reply #25 satsu_jin's post

Well, we hope this kind of tragedy doesn't come again, but we do hope that we can work together in the way we're doing now. Why does it always take a tragedy or national emergency to bring out the best, and sadly, sometimes the worst, in humanity?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-22 22:46:39 |Display all floors
When a major disaster like this should be bringing the people of the world together, it is discouraging  to see this thread title  "In time of Disaster, the West doesn't forget to bash China", festering away, day after day.

At a time when the Chinese government is urging the Chinese media "to show political responsibility", in its reporting,  this thread is allowed to remain, while others are removed.

I borrow the image one poster uses in another thread - it certainly gives the impression that China is "accepting help with one hand while giving the finger with the other".

I have watched the earthquake coverage on two networks here in Canada, and I don't think there is anything in that programming  that a reasonable Chinese person would complain about. In fact I think most Chinese would be quite proud of the way their rescue and relief efforts have been described overseas.

It seems that our opening poster has scoured the world for any indications of negativity and put them in the shop window as being the standard attitude in the "West" (wherever that is?). It is dishonest and cannot help anyone.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-23 00:07:48 |Display all floors
Well, I hope that the Chinese can differentiate between a few people watching their leaders and commenting vs. an entire HEMISPHERE not caring about the massive loss of life.
You'll be hard pressed to find the widespread and gleeful gloating amongst foreigners that was present amongst Chinese when the World Trade Center fell. I have yet to hear anything except amazement and shock at the event and admiration at the way that it's being handled.

There are some forumites on CD that need to extract their heads from their colons.
Next thing we'l hear is that 'THE WEST' triggered the quake. *rolleyes*

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-23 01:03:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-5-22 20:55

In  time of need, the ignorant, self righteous, xenophobic, SinoNazi posters don't forget to bash the rest of the world !

I seldom agree with EC but I am TOTALLY with him on this one. It is really sickening to plow through the droves of Chinese xenophobic and racist bullsh!t that has taken over this forum. If this is what this forum has been reduced to (and it really seems to be that way), CD should take it down for good. I can't see how it serves any productive purpose anymore.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-5-23 14:45:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-5-23 15:38

The truth is, however, that China has also been quite a bit picky in who they allowed to reach the disaster zones. We can understand a certain concern about sensitivity, political complications ...

....and the other was from the UK. It's all well known but fact is that they accepted aid from around the globe.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.