Author: fm1134

请看这句话的意思是什么? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-25 18:16:18 |Display all floors
这句话出自下面这篇短文:
        Hillside,Nebraska,usually a quiet town,was the scene of controversy last weekend as a parent group tried to ban the cassettes of rock videos that have violence in them. It has been estimated that there are 17.9 instances of violence for every hour of rock video.
        Twenty parents carrying signs saying,"Stop Violence in Our Neighborhoods" and  "Keep Your Children Out of Jail",demonstrated in front of several stores where cassettes of rock videos are sold.
        The parent group said a video called "Rock School" by a group called Heaven was typical. Here,high-school punk rock stars throw their books in the trash,and they are chased by a school guard with a rifle and a Doberman pinscher. The principal is wearing a stockingmask. The video ends with students and teachers rioting to rock'n'roll.
还有后半部分,因为一次贴不上,稍后再贴.

[ Last edited by fm1134 at 2008-5-25 06:17 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-25 18:29:32 |Display all floors
看了文章的背景我觉得我的译文应该是正确的,因为文章接下来肯定要批评那些家长没有头脑想当然。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-25 19:13:48 |Display all floors
严重同意hellojayla的意见。
同时对helljayla同学能够不看原文就猜出真实的意思表示由衷的钦佩。
早上想把原文和分析一起贴上来的时候,死活就是回不了贴。
是字数有限制,还是有什么敏感词汇不给发呢?
真实搞不懂。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-25 19:18:21 |Display all floors
短文的后半部分如下(紧接27楼的文章):
        Michael Jackson's "Thriller",in which monsters rise out of their graves and chase and threaten a woman,was also criticized.  "This man is a hero to our young people," one woman said of Jackson, "and he's encouraging violence against women."  Teenagers who were interviewed outside one store were upset greatly by the demonstration.  "To assume that young people will do whatever they see or hear doesn't say much for their intelligence,"said Shelly Woods,17.  "Our world is far from perfect , and teenagers must be taught at home to judge what is right and wrong," added Grey Bryant,18. "C-e-n-s-o-r-s-h-i-p is not the answer."(完)
短文中的"C-e-n-s-o-r-s-h-i-p"其实是一个单词,即"新闻审查".为了能贴出来,有意写成带短线"-"的形式.原文是不带"-"的.

[ Last edited by fm1134 at 2008-5-25 07:45 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-25 20:03:49 |Display all floors
Having studied the context thoroughly, I paraphrased the original sentence as follows:

By assuming that young people will do whatever they see or hear,  their parents underestimate their (“their” here  = “young people’s”)  intelligence.

My conclusion:

JL’s translation at #3 is correct:

如果以为年轻人看到听到什么就会跟着做什么,那是低估了他们的智力。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-25 20:28:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by edward_lee at 2008-5-25 20:03
Having studied the context thoroughly, I paraphrased the original sentence as follows:

By assuming that young people will do whatever they see or hear,  their parents underestimate their (“thei ...

句中"doesn't say much for..."是"对...评价不高"的意思.如果"their"指年轻人的话,那么整句话字面的意思应该是:若假定年轻人只会一味地模仿的话,在这个假定的基础上,可以推想得知:这些年轻人的智力不高.
不知31楼朋友何以得出"父母亲们低估了年轻人的智力"的结论了呢?这里面的逻辑关系是怎么过来的?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2008-5-25 21:27:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fm1134 at 2008-5-25 08:28 AM

句中"doesn't say much for..."是"对...评价不高"的意思.如果"their"指年轻人的话,那么整句话字面的意思应该是:若假定年轻人只会一味地模仿的话,在这个假定的基础上,可以推想得知 ...

你还是陷在 assume = 假设 的牛角尖里转不出来。

记者所引用 Shelly Woods 的那句话,代表了一个年轻人的看法。如果按照你的理解,那她到底在说什么呢?同意家长们的示 威 抗 议?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.