Author: mandywr

Is China demonized by western media [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-12 19:46:26 |Display all floors

Tug-of-War.

There is a big difference between " racism " , " biased opinions " &  " demonization " .  Let us be more precise here .

I can see that the west , especially the western media and press , have been demonizing China for some time , and have increased the crescendo lately . The Olympic year has made it easier for the feral hounds to bleat and bay. China is in the limelight and it takes very little to rattle  the cage. These low life has gone deeper into the sewers to disseminate not facts but  gossips, innuendos and  pure lies to try and tarnish China's name.  They have abandoned the previous twists and turn and have taken on to unprofessional exaggerations , cropping of photos and publication of phantom death lists ( Lhasa ) , even by previously reputable outlets like BBC , CNN and others .

Why are they doing this ?  It is not out of racism or just being ill-wishers to China . It is due to pure and unadulterated jealousy .  China is not supposed to advance in science , military capacity , manufacture ability , and all her social indices as fast as she has .  How dare her ?  And  ( shock and awe ) without the guidance and advice of the westerners !!   This is not on and that eerie beast of jealousy popped its red eyes up . The green eyes of its twin , envy , is there for all to see as well . This is all about the loss of prestige , reputation and confidence  ( and money in wallets ). That psychological beast of supremacist attitude is rearing its ugly head as well . These Chinese are now " uppity " and " assertive " !!  How dare they ?

So it is all about the loss of status and influence in the world . The Chinese make friends everywhere whereas the colonialists are losing them hand over fist because they are too aggressive and threatening . China needs to hold the line , be calm and hang on to a tug-of-war which will last a few decades yet . Let us hold tight .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-12 20:05:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2008-5-12 17:53
Most people is most people........however, my idea of racism is different to many.
To me a sense of superiority based upon race is racism.
You will often find that countries with similar economic ...

Perhaps what you mentioned about Indonesia & Malaysia is sort of a complex of jealousy and the proverbial racism.
And so is the situation with the well developed western world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-12 20:29:28 |Display all floors
the western world is just green ~China's progress threatens their politicians who always consider their way of development as the sole right one~ they r adopting cold war attitude towards emerging China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 03:56:59 |Display all floors
Does the Chinese media demonize America?

The big difference is that the media in western countries like Canada, America, or Europe are free to report on whatever they want, including their respective governm.ent's failures. In contrast, Chinese media is proh.ibited from criticiz.ing the Pa.rty. What good is the Chinese media if it can't criti.cize the Chinese gov.ernment? If criticism cannot come from within China, then it will come from elsewhere.  

Maybe the Mainland Chinese just aren't ready for free and open media. As Chinese actions during the t_rch relay suggests, the Chinese cannot accept criticism of their gove.rnment and resort to violence or shouting instead of open discussion. Such action was certainly on display in S Ko.rea where the Chinese attacked the police and threw rocks and bottles at their counterparts. The Chinese who attack others physically and verbally for expressing their opinions are no different than the N_zis. I hope this isn't a sign of where China's heading. China's going through a battle of nationalisms right now internally. The ones who yell the loudest  (the "vass.al natio.nalists") are not necessarily the winners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 04:04:17 |Display all floors
As an American, I admit that I have a bit of a bias on this subject, but I'd like to provide my opinion nonetheless. From my experience some, perhaps many, Americans have an ethnocentric view of the world and this view is perhaps reinforced by the media here in America. Not surprisingly, the media in the US tends to focus primarily on news in the US, but in my opinion this focus is disproportionate. There are exceptions in the media, but Americans have to seek for news sources that provide a more "worldly" view. I believe (and this is only my opinion) that we in America often believe that America is the "center" of the world and so we needn't worry ourselves with other cultures or countries. When taking this view of the world however, an American may also believe that it is incumbent on others to learn about the US and its culture, language, etc, not the other way around. Not only is this viewpoint shortsighted, but it's also detrimental and, well, arrogant.

In today's global economy, it is important, if not necessary, for Americans to learn about countries, cultures, and languages outside of our own. And yet, it seems that many Americans are fairly ignorant when it comes to the rest of the world. Unfortunately the American media does not help in increasing our understanding of the world outside of America, since their coverage is so focused on the US. Any outside coverage tends to focus much more on Europe than on Asia (perhaps because of our historical ties to Europe?), though this is changing little by little. Often times, when we DO get coverage on Asia, the news is overwhelmingly negative. (To be fair, much of the news that we get about our own country is also overwhelmingly negative.) Perhaps sensational news sells more newspapers. Perhaps Americans are engaged by these types of news stories. Perhaps it is a way for Americans to feel that they are much better off than the rest of the world. I don't have the answer as to why the media coverage on Asia is usually negative. I just know that, from my experience, the media coverage on Asia tends to be weak, minimal, and usually unfavorable.

It is one thing for media coverage on America to be prejudicial - most Americans know enough about their own country to make an informed judgment. But it is another thing for media coverage on countries outside of the US to be prejudicial. Many Americans are not well enough informed to see this prejudice. In order to get differing view points, even points of view with which they may disagree, and to better understand people outside of America, it is important for Americans to seek for media coverage that covers not just the US, but the rest of the world as well. This media does exist, but it requires the willingness to search for it - a willingness that many Americans lack. Learning about the world outside the US is the only way in which Americans will be able to discern biases in the American media, or at the very least for them to understand more about the cultures, motivations, needs, and hopes of people outside of the US. It seems, unfortunately, that much of the American media is unwilling or unable to provide this information.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 04:11:53 |Display all floors
Why are they doing this ?  It is not out of racism or just being ill-wishers to China . It is due to pure and unadulterated jealousy .  China is not supposed to advance in science , military capacity , manufacture ability , and all her social indices as fast as she has .  How dare her ?  And  ( shock and awe ) without the guidance and advice of the westerners !!   This is not on and that eerie beast of jealousy popped its red eyes up . The green eyes of its twin , envy , is there for all to see as well . This is all about the loss of prestige , reputation and confidence  ( and money in wallets ). That psychological beast of supremacist attitude is rearing its ugly head as well . These Chinese are now " uppity " and " assertive " !!  How dare they ?

Yeah, we're real jealous of China's pollution (16 of the world's 20 most polluted cities are located in China and over 70% of China lakes and rivers are contaminated) , unemployment rate (11%, over 150 million unemployed) , GDP ($2,800 nominal, $5,300 per capita) , and lack of quality universities (0 Mainland Chinese universities are ranked in the top 25 in the world).

If anything, the Chinese are so jealous of the West that they can't control themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 05:15:32 |Display all floors

The two extremes in Yankeeland .

Dear sock_monkey ,

Is this the same sock that I have had conversations and banter before ? ( where are the socks avatar ? ) . We miss you and your opinions . This is an excellent post which is honest and objective . We Asians appreciate frank talking too .  The only aspect you need to cover is the recent feral undertaking of the western media to actively and deliberately concocted lies and distorted truth to smear China's name  . ( Nepalese police " identified " as Chinese and ambulances as " military vehicles for crackdown " ). These are much more than ignorance , this is criminal and unprofessional . This does not lead to better understanding and do sow the seeds of long term discontent .

Meiguoren  :   You are the sort  of ankle -biters who never grow up . All total knowledge of China is : nasty people , worst polluters , poor and wretched , dishonest and can be used as free punch-bags.  You are the problem for the US , never the solution .   This is way above your intellect isn't it , never mind , no time to explain .:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.