Author: rovi297

(ZT) 老外看中国:让我来说一说中国学生的可笑英文名 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-12 21:09:31 |Display all floors

you're SO beautiful to ME...

Originally posted by sunshinexu at 6/3/08 03:42 AM
my former English name is Evelyn, my foreign teacher call me Eve in shortage, but I found it's a sexual name later when I saw "eve's temptation" , which is a  underwear shop's name, I rea ...

doesnt matter what name you're under...you're always beautiful coz the quality that you have in you  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-15 11:53:37 |Display all floors
In fact, English name is not our real name, so why not choose a good one to remember? I totally agree with this foreign teacher. To have an English name shall be subject to its culture.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-2 19:33:01 |Display all floors
MY name is lyk.
Is it OK?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-8 15:48:15 |Display all floors
my name is Shirley, which, being told by a foreign, is a very traditional and classic name, just like" 秀" and "玲" in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-26 19:16:13 |Display all floors

I do agree with the teacher

We are using English, so we must obey their rules.Strange names may make native speakers feel bad.
Some "names" may be cute in our view,but in fact they are not even "real" names in native culture.On the other hand,some "real" names may have terrible meanings when translated into Chinese,but I think it  doesn't matter because they are JUST NAMES when they are used as names.
So just respect others' culture and choose a RIGHT NAME.It's not defficult at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-27 11:34:12 |Display all floors
My English name is lara,is it OK?Can you tell me ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-16 13:28:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by maybaby at 2008-5-27 15:38
我觉得楼主说的有些片面了,把英语名字翻译成中文,完全意译的话,即使纯正的英文名字有些意思也很好笑。例如,Nancy,够纯吧 但是这还有“女性化的男人,搞同性恋的男人”这么讨厌的意思 当年外教上课,我们抽签 ...

Name is just a symbol,
it varies according to different people.
Maybe that foreign teacher is a little bit serious.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.