Author: rovi297

(ZT) 老外看中国:让我来说一说中国学生的可笑英文名 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-22 11:15:58 |Display all floors
given a English name, seems a little difficult!

because most of us want to find a English name which pronouncation is the same as our chinese name!

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2008-5-22 12:49:08 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-22 13:54:34 |Display all floors
yeah, every body can have his english name when neccssary but not must.
I have one english name Elwin(全能的),just because pronunciation of Elwin is similar to the spell of Lv(吕),my last name.
Firstly I am one chinese ,I choose my english just because of my job.
Choose your english isn't one fashion, maybe one day,every body of the world must have one chinese name.Must ,yes ,that day our China must be strong enough.
Great China grow strong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-27 15:38:26 |Display all floors
我觉得楼主说的有些片面了,把英语名字翻译成中文,完全意译的话,即使纯正的英文名字有些意思也很好笑。例如,Nancy,够纯吧 但是这还有“女性化的男人,搞同性恋的男人”这么讨厌的意思 当年外教上课,我们抽签决定的英文名字,我很不幸的抽到了这个,用了好几年,被一个朋友告知还有那样的意思。。。很郁闷。
我不知道外国人起名字是不是计较很多,但是我觉得不应该看到我们中国人起得英语名字就条件反射一样翻译成汉语,那样的话,外国人的名字在我们看来,也很有意思,不是吗?
姓名,一个人的社会符号而已。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-27 20:20:29 |Display all floors

some reflection on chinese students' english name.

i have read a article written by an australian teacher teaching english in china, in which she gives an example about foreign names that her grandmother was given as a maidservant in england. she doubled the situation coming from china's excellent character to obsorb other cultures' advantage or china's being assimilated? we may say the reason we chose an english name is for the reason of convenience of  communacating, but just as she said in that artical, we don't know the names' deep meaning, some of which maybe of derogatory, some even quitely ugly. and at the same time, china, having so many people outside, only few foreigners in,using english to broadcast stations in subway, we may say it is a way of respecting. but i can't help asking where you hear chinese being spoken to broadcast stations abord? what makes me happy is that now worldwidely, chinese is being tought, which means our culture is spreading all over the world. i am looking forward to the day every foreigner have a chinese name!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-28 01:01:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iamtoidy at 2008-5-27 20:20
i have read a article written by an australian teacher teaching english in china, in which she gives an example about foreign names that her grandmother was given as a maidservant in england. she d ...

thai is good, I agree with you so much!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-28 16:21:34 |Display all floors
English name is not necessary to all of us,but if we need one ,we should think and chouse one that we like
and is acceptable to somebody else.if not, your English name may be not a nice one.

I have no English name at first,but i have one now. my name is peter which  come from English dictionary.

how about my English name ? In fact ,I like Tony ,but it is my one colleague's name.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.