Views: 5631|Replies: 22

Fake News in the U.S Shock !! [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-4-22 21:31:07 |Display all floors
Well since I have been coming in this forum I have been truly surprised at how most Westerners become very addled and beigerant when you talk of a biased press in the West.  How about some proof of corporate power (The Elite Model) in Western media.  Go ahead and look it up and see how your news bytes are arranged to fool you!

[http://www.prwatch.org/fakenews/execsummary?]

Over a ten-month period, the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) documented television newsrooms' use of 36 video news releases (VNRs)—a small sample of the thousands produced each year. CMD identified 77 television stations, from those in the largest to the smallest markets, that aired these VNRs or related satellite media tours (SMTs) in 98 separate instances, without disclosure to viewers. Collectively, these 77 stations reach more than half of the U.S. population. The VNRs and SMTs whose broadcast CMD documented were produced by three broadcast PR firms for 49 different clients, including General Motors, Intel, Pfizer and Capital One.

In each case, these 77 television stations actively disguised the sponsored content to make it appear to be their own reporting. In almost all cases, stations failed to balance the clients' messages with independently-gathered footage or basic journalistic research. More than one-third of the time, stations aired the pre-packaged VNR in its entirety.

Report highlights include:

In sum, television newscasts—the most popular news source in the United States—frequently air VNRs without disclosure to viewers, without conducting their own reporting, and even without fact checking the claims made in the VNRs. VNRs are overwhelmingly produced for corporations, as part of larger public relations campaigns to sell products, burnish their image, or promote policies or actions beneficial to the corporation.

You mean corporate propaganda in the news!  Never this is the West and we are all 100% aware of who the media is.  Who they get paid by and their dedication to total honesty and facts.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-22 22:04:50 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-4-22 22:21:08 |Display all floors
Be interesting to see how this thread develops.

I am wondering if there will be any denials of this?

Or will be be a cold trail?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-22 23:17:16 |Display all floors
Can I ask a question?

Is there any real news in the U.S.?

As I know there is none so it is all fake so no one should be shocked.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-23 08:32:12 |Display all floors

Man bites dog !

I will deny there is any abnormal plagiarism , distortion and fabrication of news in the western media ( seeing none of the usual apologists are on duty today ) . Let me explain myself , there are these bad behavior and unprofessional carry-ons but they are not unusual in the west .  Like a feeding frenzy with the piranha on seeing blood , these western media view everyone as potential meat , even their own  kind . It is dog eat dog , no honor among thieves there .  Cheers .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-23 09:07:52 |Display all floors

Do as you would done by!

In this money-worshipping world, i can safely say that none of these major media organizations are squeeky clean, let alone these smaller ones providing local news.. BBC's devoting huge amount of time nowadays airing US presidential campaign, but who's funding the all-over-US media  trips of Katty Kay (a journalist tracking Hilary Clinton,just in case you didnt know).  

Obviously, news programs are reserved for commercial uses, be it either well-groomed corporate news or news that are deliberately sensationalized to boost ratings, like the coverage of Olympic Torch relay protests.  

Flash back, in the old days, most of the executives of news biz had served long term in the editorial department and was promoted internally. but now, an increasing number of news biz executives are business management majors with years' of experience, say, in the advertising, PR and marketing industries. How you expect them to know about what real news business is!   Meanwhile, I know a lot PRs that have served long term in news organizations before their job-hoppings.  They are doing, what the PRs would say, strategic communication,  sugaring up otherwise unpalateful corporate news. PR=Pian Ren, or cheating in Chinese.

So can we call it swindling?  you are feeding the public not necessarily true stories but for your own benefits only. Reporters, totally forgetting about their ethic codes, would running on erands so gladly for the corporate world,sometimes only for a small amount of money.

And China Daily: how much you get paid for each lavishly-spread story on corporate news pages you print on every Monday edition?
haha...

[ Last edited by reportersh at 2008-4-23 09:26 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-23 09:20:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by reportersh at 2008-4-22 20:07
in this money-worshipping world, i can safely say that none of these major media organizations are squeeky clean. BBC's devoting huge amount of time nowadays airing US presidential campaign, but wh ...

fortunately current CD and many other majoy newspapers are state or central govnt controlled, otherwise China's media will do almost the same like the Western. So walk our own road of Chinese national characteristics in media and entertainment and PR and HR.  

zou zhong guo de dao lu, mei cuo.

however I reserve my opinion that China does need to work out something for how to both benefit the stability of 1.4 billion desired by govnt and people, meanwhile benefit the media's relatively higher degree of freedom speech.

It's not easy, I think China's current leadership is quite well, no any other country's leader could do better jobs than ours. None.  :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.