Views: 11644|Replies: 24

I feel sorry for Queen Elizzabeth [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-15 20:45:28 |Display all floors
Well, you see, the prime Minister of Britain has shown in some sense or in context of boycott ing China's Olympics. This action is seen as a sign of Britain's Weakness.

Once upon a time, Britain was called "Great" Britain; where there is light, there is britain's  colony. NOw, this country no longer enjoyed this adjective "Great", it is simply called "Britain".  This shows this country does not command respect.  Every new PM is weaker than the previous one.  I feel sorry for the Queen if you can remember your Ancestors had fought.

my guess is, the prime minister must be feeling lousy about this connotation and feel so bad that he has seen the modern of china. YOu can say that china has more sky-scrapper than Britain has.

I though Westerners and  this PM  are gentlmen. However, they proved otherwise. China is really a gentleman even Britain had colonized Hong Kong for 100 years. The chinese never take back the country by force.

So, do preach democracy while you can not keep it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 22:21:31 |Display all floors
Britain was called originally 'Great' by the French I think, as a means as distinuishing between the area of France known as Brittany and the big island a few dozen miles away called Britain. The French spellings are almost identical I think.

Please, don't see our Prime Minister's dithering actions as a sign of Britain's weakness, see it as a sign of his own weakness. He is not a popular man, he is not leading a popular party and quite frankly, i'll be astonished if he is in power after the next general election.

It may surprise you to know but there really isn't much call for a British boycott of the Beijing Olympics other than the usual suspects making a lot of noise, a bit of media nonsense and a few weak politicians.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 01:36:26 |Display all floors

Country names

I understand that the formal country name of Britain is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  This is commonly abbreviated to Britain.  An interesting treatment for a country name I know but that's what they call themselves.

I suppose that this abbreviation is similar to the People's Republic of China being shortened to "China" for general usage.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 04:30:23 |Display all floors
hmmm interesting points you make...
firstly the queen is an unelected head of state, of little importance to we british, just an interesting tourist attraction for all the foreigners to come and look at.
london has always had legislation stopping the building of skyscrapers as it ruins the view of the many beautiful old buildings in London, you don't want to loose you history in your rush to make money do you?
Mr Brown had never indicated that he was going to attend the opening ceremony. but is attending the closing ceremony as london is the next host city - so it is traditional for him to attend.
i dont see what any of this has to do with preaching democracy though?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 09:40:53 |Display all floors
"Great Britain" is the name of the largest island in the British island group. The name "Britain" simply comes from the name "Britannia" used by the Romans to refer to Great Britain and the associated islands that flank it, excluding Ireland.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 09:57:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by muhnkee_2 at 2008-4-16 04:30
hmmm interesting points you make...
firstly the queen is an unelected head of state, of little importance to we british, just an interesting tourist attraction for all the foreigners to come and l ...

Are you saying that Britain is expecting to fight another Folk Island war again sometimes when the Olympicstarts so the PM can not attend the event???  

Let me be your Messiah if you want to know why british can not think on their own feet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 17:46:47 |Display all floors

Reply #6 i2vision's post

Its funny how most of the foreigners are posting intelligent and coherent responses to mainly idiotic and immature posts.

I2vision, you are totally embarrassing yourself, and the Chinese people

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.