Author: cestmoi

NYTimes: China's Loyal Youth. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-14 17:51:27 |Display all floors
How very interesting. If I express support for China but also frustration with its actions, my post is deleted. Now I look even worse to people over here.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 17:52:34 |Display all floors
Wan,

You don't know your history well and are too bound up in the 19th century European thought about ancient history. Egypt and Babylon are part of a continuous transition to the cultures which exist now.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 19:57:48 |Display all floors
Actually, I'm gonna go with Interesting on some of what he says; I'll agree that, from my experience, this new generation is very self occupied and self asorbed and the only other thing they think about besides themselves and their parents is how to be rich and how beautiful or handsome their boyfriend or girlfriend is, shoukld be or will be. I don't dare suggest that this is typical or all the new generation but it IS typical of the many thousands of students I've taught in my last 4 years in the PRC. Now tell me I'm wrong, go on, experience walks, BS walks and to suggest I'm wrong about MY students, well, you fill in the blanks coz I'm tired!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-4-14 20:46:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2008-4-14 20:57
Actually, I'm gonna go with Interesting on some of what he says; I'll agree that, from my experience, this new generation is very self occupied and self asorbed and the only other thing they think  ...

Kiwi,

Here I have to agree with you. I believe that this has something to do with the one child policy. Parents spoil their young 'emperors and empresses' in a way that I've seen nowhere else. The parental focus is just on one child. This is also one reason why there are so called 'walking schools' in China. Some  parents cannot handle their spoiled brats.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 22:35:52 |Display all floors

Regarding the growing egoism

exportedkiwi,

in terms of growing egoism and self-centeredness among the young generation, don't blame Chinese kids alone. That's a universal phenomenom. Blame MTV and these hollywood movies, dont you think they are misleading the whole trend of youth culture?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 15:22:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-4-14 17:52
Wan,

You don't know your history well and are too bound up in the 19th century European thought about ancient history. Egypt and Babylon are part of a continuous transition to the cultures which ...

Oh ,it seems that i have to replenish my history knowledge?  You know better than i do ? Well, maybe ,but even if you are an expert in history, you just STUDY it , you do not know how people actually think here.
As to Babylon and Egypt, I am not sure if the ancient people spoke Arabic ?
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 15:27:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2008-4-14 19:57
Actually, I'm gonna go with Interesting on some of what he says; I'll agree that, from my experience, this new generation is very self occupied and self asorbed and the only other thing they think  ...

There does exist a number of problems with the new generation. However, their defects and weaknesses have been exaggerated and some kind of demonized. See how well Chinese youth perform in recent fight against western biased media and govenments !
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.