Views: 7430|Replies: 20

CNN's mistakes in using words [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-5 13:57:21 |Display all floors
When we read CNN statement on Tibet coverage, we can easily find such sentence: "Tibetan youths attacking a Chinese man", Tibetans attacking Chinese interests in Lhasa..., which are examples raised by CNN itself to prove its innocence.
But we can see CNN seems try to tell people "Tibetans are not Chinese", or "the tibetan rioters are the representatives of all teibetans". If CNN does not have such intention, it should have  written as " Some Tibetan rioters  ttacking a man" " Some Tibetan rioters attcking the gov't interest in Lhasa"..., that may be more clear and just to tell people the truth, but CNN did not do as I now suggest. It didn't all the time.

CNN said "CNN's reputation is based on reporting global news accurately and impartially, ", but here i did not see its reputation here, i did not see its accuracy here.
iF CNN denies this allegation of mine, then it should apologize for its written mistakes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-5 16:30:24 |Display all floors
Tibet was not an issue until USSR fell.

When the USSR began to collapse in 1989 then people began to focus on Tibet.  They suddenly had no enemy, so they made Tibet their cause.  It was their hope of causing China to become America's enemy.  China is America's friend and trading partner.  Those who disrupt friendship and trade try to harm both countries.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-5 16:50:52 |Display all floors
Matt,

You've got to be kidding. The major focus after the collapse of the USSR was Saddam Hussein, that's what made selling a war in Iraq so easy: the US spent the entire decade policing no-fly zones and having erupting problems when they would start aggressively targeting planes. In addition to that, there was the Balkans, worries about nuclear terrorism because of Russia's vast, unguarded stockpile and let's not forget internal problems connected with the militia-survivalist movement that dominated much of the news. Your remembrance of the 1990s is pretty hazy; military officers never really succeeded in turning China into an enemy (the US demobilized that eliminated much of its heavy forces) and no exterior enemy ever crystallized.

The major issues of the 1990s in America were: (1) welfare reform, (2) free trade, (3) more greatly using the NATO political structure for transatlantic cooperation, (4) whether the EU should be helped or opposed, (5) a solution the Israeli-Palestinian problem, (6) gun control, (7) abortion, (8) waning issues in the culture war, (9) whether the tech economy was really the New Economy, (10) managing militant groups who, having waited for US-Soviet apocalypse, now turned their attentions primarily to race (militias, conspiracy nutters and Timothy McVeigh).
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-5 19:08:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tackletickle at 2008-4-5 13:57
When we read CNN statement on Tibet coverage, we can easily find such sentence: "Tibetan youths attacking a Chinese man", Tibetans attacking Chinese interests in Lhasa..., which are examp ...

just my two cents, I think CNN meant to use Chinese man to refer to han people or other non-tibetan Chinese nationalities.
dragon rider

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-5 19:10:24 |Display all floors
something is wrong with this forum.
dragon rider

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-6 09:48:26 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-6 10:06:10 |Display all floors
ZG,

Actually, that is true: few people in the US, at least, realize that TBers have a distinct profile from the rest of China and most of China's minorities don't really seem to be any different to outsiders. In the same way, few Americans recognize different brands of white people except when in Europe, where they're notoriously bad at spotting them.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.