Views: 4510|Replies: 17

Are Western Drug Companies Wicked or Greedy? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-1 01:08:11 |Display all floors
People in the third world are suffering because of the greedy drug companies in the west who are keeping their prices too high.

What do you think about these despicable companies who show such disregrd for the lives of their fellow man?
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 11:21:31 |Display all floors

Reply #1 gotohell's post

Sadly and usually, business isn't about caring for your fellow man. The sole function of business is to make a profit. I agree that many medications are way overpriced which certainly doesn't alleviate the suffering of those who need them. One thing has always mystified me about this: why create something to help and then overprice it so only a few can afford to be helped? Seems kinda hypocritical to me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 11:31:51 |Display all floors
Actually, Western drug companies sell drugs at discounted rates in the third world. The major problem is that, for many drugs, there is no price point where a company can both sell to the poorest and break even.

Kiwi,

Drugs are overpriced because the company must recoup the costs of development. For the developing world, the largest problem is that drugs helpful to them are often not helpful to the developed world; many developing countries lie in the equatorial regions where the disease profile is different. Since these people can't actually pay the cost of developing such drugs, no drugs are developed for their specific problems. A decent solution would be for the UN to fund disease prizes to cure the most prevalent currently untreated or cured diseases in the third world. This would spur development and we could discuss how to pay the rest after we're done (the prize is unlikely to cover the price of development).
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 13:17:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-4-14 11:31
Actually, Western drug companies sell drugs at discounted rates in the third world. The major problem is that, for many drugs, there is no price point where a company can both sell to the poorest a ...

are you saying AIDS in USA is different from AIDS in AFrica???

Maybe Malaria is
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 09:02:22 |Display all floors
CHK,

AIDS drugs were by nature expensive until quite recently, and yes, I do mean diseases like malaria which actually require drugs. AIDS could be prevented, malaria not so much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 09:34:03 |Display all floors
LR is a nut job.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 18:08:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gotohell at 2008-4-1 01:08
People in the third world are suffering because of the greedy drug companies in the west who are keeping their prices too high.

What do you think about these despicable companies who show such d ...

Are you talking about the drug companies in China when you say "disregard for human life." Are you aware that 1000's of people in China die each year from consuming fake medicine that CHINESE drug companies produce?  I'd rather pay more for my medicine in the west than pay very little in china and not know what im putting in my body. Smarten up and stop making such outlandish accusations before looking at what is going on in your own country.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.