Views: 4231|Replies: 10

help with translating two sentences . thanks. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-28 13:56:49 |Display all floors
We have required all counties without sewage treatment facilities to start construction by the end of this year and to make sure they are up and running by 2010
                                                    ~~~

what is the meaning of up ?

the COD still did not meet the provincial government's target, which Chen blamed on a lack of sewage trea
tment facilities.

what  is "which" refered to ?
let English be my second language and cash be full filled  in my pocket.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-28 13:57:22 |Display all floors
没空,我要帮忙顶帖子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-28 13:58:44 |Display all floors
也帮你顶一下

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-28 13:59:05 |Display all floors
再帮你顶

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-28 14:52:57 |Display all floors
We have required all counties without sewage treatment facilities to start construction by the end of this year and to make sure they are up and running by 2010
我们要求所有不具备污水处理设施的国家要在今年年底开始施工,并于2010年建成并投入使用。

what is the meaning of up ?

建成并投入使用

the COD still did not meet the provincial government's target, which Chen blamed on a lack of sewage treatment facilities.

水质在线监察系统(COD)仍未达到省级政府的目标,chen 将此事归咎于没有污水处理系统。

what  is "which" refered to ?

指的就是the COD still did not meet the provincial government's target。

Cheers!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-28 22:16:44 |Display all floors

schedule

make sure they are up and running by 2010

"up", in this context, simple means "when" or, a slang phrase that means "it will happen" or "will begin" or "will start"... its slang and in truth, most Americans (I can only speak for Americans) if asked to say what "up" means in this context would have to think about it.
I am sure there are many Chinese phrases that have been used so long that no one thinks about just exactly what they mean... but most people know how to use the phrase and when to use it.
Its the same in the west... we can not really remember whya phase is correct, we just know it is.

Don

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-11 20:18:08 |Display all floors
i was busy dealing with something practical these days,thereby i neglected replying this topic .
let English be my second language and cash be full filled  in my pocket.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.