Views: 12669|Replies: 16

Men's soccer: Can China beat Australia? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-25 09:49:28 |Display all floors
China is to play Australia Wednesday in a qualifier for the 2012 men's World Cup in South Africa. Do you think the Chinese can beat the Australians in the match? Please share your comment here.
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
35.00% (14)
57.50% (23)
7.50% (3)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-25 10:36:27 |Display all floors
Throw a dice. Football will remain interesting as long as the result is more frequently than not hard to predict.

Aussies will win if they play football.

Not so sure is their victory  if they play succer.
Andy Dob

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-25 18:53:48 |Display all floors

High Level Football

China has a chance due to the decision to play at altitude and the injury list to the Australian team.  Australia has a shortage of strikers due to injury, with Mark Bridge (a youngster with only 1 cap for his country), looking the most likely prospect for the point role.  However, reduced attacking options for Australia might not be as worrisome as expected due to the playing style likely to be adopted by both teams.

In terms of qualifying group strategy, China will be seeking a win to make up for their abysmal 1-1 start against Iraq.  Australia will be happy to take a 'block and hold' approach and let the Chinese batter themselves against a brick-wall defence.  Expect Vince Grella in the holding midfield to counter any rough stuff from China similar to their recent aggressive style.  At altitude, despite good preparation, China are likely to tire early in the second half and be exposed to flanking attacks from the likes of David Carney who is able to drive the ball to the strike zone from well inside the Australian half.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-28 21:53:36 |Display all floors

Football is a funny old game...

...and one of its beauties is the fact that the underdog can, and often does, emerge victorious. Just look at this seasons FA Cup where Championship Barnsley have knocked Premiership giants Liverpool and Chelsea out of the competition for one recent example.

So yes, China can beat Australia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-29 06:15:32 |Display all floors

Socceroos

...are improving in leaps and bounds since they decided that they are part of Asia and not part of Oceania.

They socceroos have a lot of money to buy good players from overseas. Should be interesting, in time they will be a soccer power to be reckoned with.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-9 07:32:22 |Display all floors

of course.....

the Chinese can beat the Socceroos at present because the Aussies are not known as very good football players.

And the Chinese will surely beat beat them if the Chinese learn to perform the HAKA before the match.

here it goes;

Kikiki kakaka kauana!
Kei waniwania taku tara
Kei tarawahia, kei te rua i te kerokero!
He pounga rahui te uira ka rarapa;
Ketekete kau ana to peru kairiri
Mau au e koro e – Hi! Ha!
Ka wehi au ka matakana,
Ko wai te tangata kia rere ure?
Tirohanga ngā rua rerarera
Ngā rua kuri kakanui i raro! Aha ha!

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru

Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā

Ā, upane! ka upane!

Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 23:02:13 |Display all floors
According to my cousin (from England), "They're both s***; I'd probably go with Australia if I had to."
Of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.