Views: 16070|Replies: 44

Haile Gerbrelassie won't run in Beijing [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-11 11:54:36 |Display all floors
Haile Gebrselassie, the world record holder in the marathon, won't run in the Beijing olympics because Beijing's air is too polluted.

Ouch!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... /article3521537.ece

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 19:26:10 |Display all floors
China is a free country . Anyone chooses NOT to come or run is going to miss out . China regrets such silly scams but cannot do anything about it . We respect all points of views and stands. Less world beaters , more medals for China .  Who is missing out then ?

Confucius said " Don't ever cut the nose to spite the face " . Understand ?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-3-11 19:56:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by meiguodiyi at 2008-3-11 12:54
Haile Gebrselassie, the world record holder in the marathon, won't run in the Beijing olympics because Beijing's air is too polluted.

Ouch!

[url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_s ...

This guy is coming to Beijing and participating in the 10km event. If he's suffering from asthma, his decision is understandable. This opens a chance for others to win the Marathon event.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 20:22:13 |Display all floors

We shall see...

... if the mods will approve my snapshot post of the article in question - so that all can read and judge for themselves.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 20:24:55 |Display all floors

Nice Bed Side Manner...

Originally posted by mengzhi at 3/11/2008 05:26 AM
China regrets such silly scams but cannot do anything about it . We respect all points of views and stands.

Asthma is a "silly scam"?  Have you ever used that line with any of your patients doctor?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-12 08:52:55 |Display all floors

Be in it to win it .

Look here Shylock . Lots of trial competitions , in running and swimming , have been through the paces in Beijing recently and to a team , they have been very impressed with the organization and the facilities . The weather condition has not been a complaint from anyone .  Beijing is similar to any other big city in the world . If Haile G is prone to asthma , he could have an attack in New York or Timbuktu . All the first rate medical facilities and physicians will be available to diagnose and treat cases like these 24/7.

The issue here is this mystical and mythical curse on Beijing by the feral as if the Chinese are so evil they are spreading germs to harm foreign competitors !! Pull your head in and be a little more objective .

Like Spielberg the Spruik , there is nothing China can do with determined or brain washed individuals who wants to throw tantrums .  Stay home and let the rest compete and enjoy the esprit de corp . You have to be IN it to WIN it !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-12 08:53:55 |Display all floors

to #2

I had a non-asthmatic friend with me during my first semester abroad in Beijing during the fall and winter of 2004. She used to be a frequent runner--not competitive, but got out for runs a few times a week. Within a month, as I recall, she quit because the air quality was so bad that she got out of breath too fast and decided it wasn't worth it.

I have exercise-induced asthma--a pretty mild case, so I'm not on any medication for it right now, but I might seek a prescription soon--and I run 3-4 times a week, and I know there's a difference in my breathing ability between when I run near the road and when I run on a running path. I'm sure Gerbrelassie is taking medication for his condition, but that doesn't prevent an attack. Ever had an asthma attack? They're pretty scary, even if you don't have to be taken to the hospital--not being able to breathe is no fun. Luckily I've only ever had 2, but I would like to never have another. If I knew I would be competing in a city which is known for bad air pollution, I would think twice about it, too. Yes, it's his choice, but asthma is not something to belittle, even if it might not fit with the image you want to project.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.