Author: rainbow

Why did the police know she's going to get her mail? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-25 07:54:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-24 12:45
I learnt Chinese and Indians have the advantages in IT industry

Hmmm, I'd like to add one more thing, apart from the high tech sectors, Chinese are doing very well in many others professional fields, such as banking, law, especially in medical and health care related fields.

People say, if there are no unwritten quotas, You can only see all the oriental faces in the medical schools of Standford, University of Toronto, etc. Even with the strict quotas, the Asian medical students have taken up a big chunk of seats in the classrooms.

BTW, just for your info, You know, those are very high paid jobs, for example, the average annual salary of a telecom network engineer in Silicon Valley is over US$100,000/year before Tax, plus the annual bonus in the neighborhood of 10-30% of the regular annul income, let alone the stock options that make those small startups so attractive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 01:05:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-23 11:17

Hey, you,

I don't drive under the influence! Please take a notice of the word " while" that means she was killed on the way to fetch her mail.

Det. Rainbow

A ...

Either I don't understand your initial question or you did not understand my question. Nevermind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 01:07:31 |Display all floors
hmm.. my comment did not post.

Ohh well..

Rainbow,

Either I did not understand your initial question or you did not understand my question. Never mind about my question. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 01:16:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-23 12:04
Sample Text
Changzhou,

Since you live abroad, I suppose you are able to understand overseas Chinese better, aren't you? Recently, I read thread about Chinese Diaspora poste ...

Rainbow,

This person who posted that they have traumatic experience, is he/she Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 03:34:52 |Display all floors

Reply #23 heyyou's post

well actually, proper English aside, the story is probably just trying to say: poor woman, she went to get her mail and died doing something that normal.

It's probably not trying to specify if she was on the way to the mailbox or on her way back.
A riot is an ugly thing.... and I think it's just about time we had one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 13:16:34 |Display all floors

Reply #22 changzhou007's post

Changzhou, I am inspired by the excellent overseas Chinese role models you enumerated. And I eagerly wish we Chinese and China will be stronger!
:)

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-26 06:58 PM ]
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 13:23:20 |Display all floors

Reply #25 heyyou's post

Heyyou,

The guy's ID is wchao37. He professes he is from Hong Kong and holds the degree of M.D. in the signature of his threads. :)

I just read off another thread of his. His writing is very neat, and his threads are instructive and thought-provoking. I don't experience what he said and I don't know whether they are true or not. But I can sense he is a great Hongkies as well as genuine Chinese!  Below are some excerpts from his posts. I am deeply touched again by his words. I double thumbs up for him!

Well you know how it is.

Bitter experience living in the last British colony.

On Queen Elizabeth's birthday every April 21, the British garrison used to pull out all the stops to have a big military parade, including K-9 dogs along Chatham Road.  I used to stand there quietly watching these bastard criminals parade in our land -- Chinese land -- using dogs to scare people.

Every movie ended in a national anthlem of the British empire -- God save the Queen.

Elizabeth was okay, but his other relatives weren't.

They all slept around a lot like barbarians -- in one big bed -- Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, diplomats...

Were their titles taken away from them, they would have been seen for what they truly were -- parasites.

The Brits knew they couldn't keep the Chinese population from speaking or learning Chinese, but they made sure that you understood who's in charge here.  So the only official language for a long time was English, especially in the courts.

And they made sure you wear those silly white hairpieces as barristers, attorneys or judges as definitive symbols of your submission to their colonial rule through their rules and legal jargon.  The white hairpiece thus works the same way as a clown's dunce hat, and the tragedy is that the Chinese attorneys in Hongkong SAR are continuing to wear them without understanding the shameful nature of the act.  

This is like a woman not feeling the shame any more after being forced into prostitution sleeping with a dozen strangers.

On the head of a Chinese attorney, the white hairdos really look ridiculous, and forcing all Chinese attorneys in Hongkong to wear those pieces is comparable to the Manchus forcing the Hans to wear those ugly pigtails at the beginning of their rule.

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-27 12:23 AM ]
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.