Author: rainbow

开心果(C-E) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-21 15:46:27 |Display all floors
It would not only be Chinglish, it would be a very strange expression to native speakers, I think. Fruit, incidentally, is a disparaging, if old-fashioned, slang term for gay male so "Happy Fruit" would have very unfortunate connotations.
happy fruit.jpg
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-21 19:36:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2008-2-21 02:46
It would not only be Chinglish, it would be a very strange expression to native speakers, I think. Fruit, incidentally, is a disparaging, if old-fashioned, slang term for gay male so "H ...

That's exactly Lydia Sum's hugely popular comic image!

As a comedian, she is known as Happy Fruit in Hong Kong, and she called herself Happy Fruit. It was a literal translation of 开心果, which happened to have a perfect comic and caricatural effect that was desired by both Lydia and the public.   

:)

[ Last edited by tumujerome at 2008-2-21 06:37 AM ]
lydia1.jpg
Lydia Sum2.jpg
lydia3.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-21 20:46:41 |Display all floors
同意jeff,  Fruit 或 Fruitcake ,有点骂人“断背”或娘娘腔的感觉
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish 求知若饥, 虚心若愚
www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cDHb-tvMA

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-21 22:15:37 |Display all floors

Jeff,

Is there any English slang or idiom which describes a person with cheerful and jocose nature and s/he always would like to bring people smile? I prefer it is a noun phrase.

If you know, please keep me posted. Thank you!
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-22 03:17:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tumujerome at 2008-2-21 03:36 AM
That's exactly Lydia Sum's hugely popular comic image!
Oh, gosh, that's Fei Fei! I didn't know her actual name! I love her! She always brought a smile to my face! (I saw just a few of her movies and an episode or two of her Singaporean TV series.) Thank you for clarifying that for me, tumu!

I didn't realize she died Tuesday of pancreatic cancer! How very sad!

Oh, OK, I get it. "Bubbly" is not a bad word but it's a bit too "light" for Fei Fei, I think. In a way, "Happy Fruit" perfectly fits Lydia Sum's image, even in English, but only hers. I can't think of a more general noun phrase for that type of person but I'll let you know if one occurs to me.

Sad.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-22 11:24:59 |Display all floors
I feel sad for her death.    As a comic marquee star, she always brought laughters to people with her excellent  vivid performances. She was devoted to Hong Kong show business .

I can imagine how she suffered for the illness and I admire her unselfish love to her dearest daughter .

It is a loss to all Hong Kong people and those who love her.

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-22 12:06 PM ]
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-24 11:23:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-22 11:24
I feel sad for her death.    As a comic marquee star, she always brought laughters to people with her excellent  vivid performances. She was devote ...

I agree with you . I feel sorry ,too . She is one of my most favorite comic stars..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.