Author: changtsile

艳照门,怎么翻? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-23 13:56:22 |Display all floors

Gossiping

Sample Text
By the way, I can not understand why Edison Chen apologized to the Hong Kong public. He is one of the victims of the photo gate because those private photos were stolen and were maliciously disseminated on the Internet. He has a  right to do anything he like which is subject to laws. I wonder whether he breached any laws? Obviously, NO.

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-23 02:30 PM ]
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-23 17:44:37 |Display all floors
Nude sex photo scandal

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-23 23:11:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-23 13:56
Sample Text
By the way, I can not understand why Edison Chen apologized to the Hong Kong public. He is one of the victims of the photo gate because those private photos were s ...

those photos are immoral. they make people feel sick.   although he has not breached any law,  it's his fault not to keep them secret.  
    maybe this is why he apologized to the public.

[ Last edited by intotherain at 2008-2-23 11:13 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-23 23:47:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by intotherain at 2008-2-23 23:11

those photos are immoral. they make people feel sick.   although he has not breached any law,  it's his fault not to keep them secret.  
    maybe this is why he apologized to the public.

What is a moral bench mark?

Not to put too fine a point on it, it confuses black and white.

I don't speak for Chen, even I almost knew nothing about Chen before this. But what should be condemned is  the person who stole those explicit photos from Chen's laptop, and the next  is the media which breach people's privacy to disseminate them for their purposes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-24 10:22:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-23 07:47 AM
I don't speak for Chen, even I almost knew nothing about Chen before this. But what should be condemned is  the person who stole those explicit photos from Chen's laptop, and the next  is the media which breach people's privacy to disseminate them for their purposes.
I agree with you in part, rainbow. Chen might be guilty of stupidity (in taking those photos and storing them on his hard drive) but, really, the wrongdoers here are whoever it was at the computer repair shop who released the photos. I say "in part" because I doubt the media had much to do with disseminating the actual photos; rather it was private individuals who did that. (But the media did play a role in spreading the story about the photos.) I think Chen is rightly mortified because, while he is also a victim in this situation, clearly his actions played a part and, on that basis, he apologized.

The suffix -gate for scandal is interesting because the original "Watergate" scandal was not the "Water-gate" scandal—it had nothing to do, of course,  with "water." You can see something similar in the use of the suffix -holic, meaning "someone addicted to" (from alcoholic) used in words like workaholic or chocoholic.

rovi and rainbow: Interesting comments. :)
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-24 10:57:26 |Display all floors
Sample Text

Hi Jeff

It is interesting to learn so many vivid interesting English words. I very enjoy the writing of article-Photo Gate written by  the correspondent Wall Street journal . The writer is very proficient at English. I saved the article because I'd like to review it sometimes.  Many words there are delicate, e.g. flagrante delicto, a bevy of (women), bubblegum image, and Photo Gate...

Again, I insist Chen did nothing wrong about  those explicit photos which was taken under consensual agreements. Chen never attempted to display them in public.

Media and some of the public bark up the wrong tree. If I were him, I only said sorry to those ladies involved but not the public. Everyone has a skeleton in his closet. Media and the public shouldn't throw a finger at him severely. I condemn the theft and guys who disseminated the photos maliciously. No one has a carte blanche to make Chen's life hell.  The actions violate an individual's privacy.

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-24 11:06 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2008-2-24 13:03:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-23 09:57 PM

Again, I insist Chen did nothing wrong about  those explicit photos which was taken under consensual agreements. Chen never attempted to display them in public.

I doubt very much that the photos were all taken without any reluctance on the part of each and every one of the women involved.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.