Author: rainbow

What's a fourth-grader? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-18 17:13:41 |Display all floors
:) Haha, thanks! I feel really complimented! (Well, the answers are all on the Web, really.)
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 20:38:33 |Display all floors
I got from the web that people are increasingly inclined to use the phrase first year student instead of freshman, thanks to misguided political correctness.

Is that true? That is paronoid if so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-19 04:35:11 |Display all floors
Well, Wikipedia says in reference to use of the term freshman to the US:
In recent years, "first year" has gained popularity as a result of its more descriptive name and gender neutral language.
You can find references like "freshman women" or "freshman women's lacrosse team" or, alternatively, "first-year (freshman) women."

It might seem overly sensitive or "paranoid" but it might just be a response to the awkwardness of phrases like "freshman women."

The use of freshman is, apparently, in some state of change in the U.S. and there isn't quite a consensus (yet) as to what's  "acceptable."
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-19 08:45:01 |Display all floors
Thanks jeff

there is a good reason why rainbow called you encyclopedia. As househusband suggested, a walkie talkie type.

[ Last edited by chen39yi at 2008-2-19 08:54 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.