Author: rainbow

What's a fourth-grader? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-17 15:19:01 |Display all floors

Edward, thank you!
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 13:57:36 |Display all floors
Here's just a little more background, rainbow.

In the US and Canada, educational levels below (or before) college or university are known as grades and usually run 1 through 12. In the US they are referred to as first grade, second grade, and so on; in Canada, they are called grade one, grade two, etc. So, as you found out, a fourth grader is a student in the fourth grade. Probably it is more typical just to say someone is in [the] fourth grade.

In grades nine through twelve, in the US, the terms freshman, sophomore, junior and senior are used, although, on occasion, one might say ninth grader or tenth grader. (It's rarer to hear eleventh grader or twelfth grader.)

The terms freshman, sophomore, junior and senior are used for the first through fourth (and last) year of college. One might also say he or she is in his or her first, second, etc. year of college.

The term "grade" is not used in other English-speaking countries such as the UK or Australia. Educational levels is one of those areas that are not commonly understood between speakers from different English-speaking countries, in my opinion.

[ Last edited by jeff_in_sf at 2008-2-18 01:14 AM ]
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 14:14:21 |Display all floors
Dear Encyclopedia,

Thanks for your informative message. :)

How old is a  first grader usually? I suppose that a first grader is equivalent to a Grade1 pupil of primary school in China, who is usually 8 years old.

What do you think about " community college" in the states? Can a community college  offer a degree? Is the tuition very cheap?

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-18 02:29 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 15:51:27 |Display all floors
Haha, hello, dear Encyclopedia Reader!

A first grader is 6 or 7 years old in the US. (The elementary school year runs from September to June so some kids might be 6 and some might be 7.) But all kids attend kindergarten (幼兒園) before first grade and many attend pre-school or nursery school before that.

Community colleges offer associate's degrees and, in some cases, bachelor's degrees. An associate's degree allows entry into jobs that require some college but not a full four-year degree.

Tuition fees are much lower than at four-year colleges. For 2007, the average net cost of tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and transportation for full-time community college students is $2,511, according to US News and World Report.

I hope that answers your question.! :).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 15:56:03 |Display all floors
Haha, hello, dear Encyclopedia Reader!

A first grader is six or seven years old in the US. But all kids attend kindergarten before first grade and many attend pre-school or nursery school before that.

Community colleges offer associate's degrees and, in some cases, bachelor's degrees. An associate's degree allows entry into jobs that require some college but not a full four-year degree.

Tuition fees are much lower than at four-year colleges. For 2007, the average net cost of tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and transportation for full-time community college students is $2,511.

I hope that answers your question.! :).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 16:10:56 |Display all floors

Dear Encyclopedia:

I always can get the best answer from your book. Thank you very much!

Yours faithfully,

Reader-ainbow

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-18 04:23 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 16:29:08 |Display all floors
Jeff is a walkie-talkie type of Encyclopedia, haha.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.