Author: rainbow

Prohibition-era Chicago? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-18 12:09:53 |Display all floors
You're welcome! Thanks for your nice comments! :) (Someone else on the board asked me about reading The Economist a few months ago so I had an opportunity to think about it.) And you got me interested in House so I'll start watching more regularly.

:)

Oh, I just came across a blog entry by a marketing writer about The Economist's style which says: "When you actually read The Economist it is surprisingly playful and often uses informal, arresting language to make its point. In fact, this is exactly what makes it distinctive."

He gives this example from an editorial about Russia's Vladmir Putin:
“Along with his recent schmoozing of Algeria and Quatar, this threatens to exacerbate Europe’s energy insecurity, kyboshing the hope of importing large quantities of Central Asian gas without Russian involvement.”
The words schmooze and kybosh (usually kibosh) are irreverently, amusingly informal. They aren't words you expect to hear in discussions of international relations.

to put the kibosh on something = to stop something from happening or developing (you rarely see it used as a verb as in the above quote)

schmooze = to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection

It's just plain funny.

OK, I'll stop my Economist appreciation thread now. :)
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-18 20:40:02 |Display all floors
:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.