Author: rainbow

Prohibition-era Chicago? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-16 14:33:33 |Display all floors
Jeff,

It is not necessary to think about another Chinese equivalent about it for me. I think I can understand the author's intention now basically. The author is great as well as you. Thank you!

I hope to learn something about your country's history so that I can understand English articles better.
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-16 15:13:52 |Display all floors
Well, there's very often a cultural context to understand a language better. You can see it very often in The Economist which uses well-known phrases or symbols for an ironic effect.

(Occasionally, rovi might say something in a similar way in Chinese and I can guess his meaning (and what he is being mischievous about), even if I don't know it exactly.)

The Economist might occasionally make a reference that I'm not familiar with—and I might try to find out more about it—so reading it is an educational experience! :) The point is: no matter how well you know English, The Economist might still be a little challenging.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-16 16:03:16 |Display all floors
The Economist's contributors are amazing! They're indeed experts in their arenas. Just now I found The Economist  even got a picture of the late incumbent Chinese premier  Z.h.a.o. Z.i.ya.ng with the current premier W.e.n  shot in 1.9.8.9, and made an interesting comparison between them. I dumbfounded.

Rovi is a lucky dog, huh, you mention him now and then and make me so jealous. Haha..kidding! Glad you are good pals! He is very smart!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-16 17:09:22 |Display all floors
A funny fact about this amazing journal is that almost none of its articles is a signed one. you can Check it out,

My favourate parts of The Economist are the economics and finance section and, of course, the cartoons.  Finishing all the articles on it is not realistic for me. Although the contributors use very well-written English in their articles, the rich knowledge required for a good understanding of them makes the reading really a challenge and therefore sort of fun, especially for non-native speakers.  Actually the journal, as the editors think, is intended for the leaders in politics and business as well as intellectuals across the world. The founder of this journal might not expect his journal turns out to be good materials for English learning.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-16 17:21:03 |Display all floors

It's not only an English-learning journal for me but also a window to peep into how the Westerners think about. I am especially interested in the articles about China, which are quite different from the red tape in China state-run media.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-16 20:01:47 |Display all floors

Reply #12 rainbow's post

good for you

unlike conventional liberals and consertives, the editors of this journal take a liberal postition both in politics and economics, which is known as libertarianism and unfortunately no longer popular among people . That might help you get a better understanding of those insightful articles.

Our paramount leader, Hu, may also read the same article,hehe

[ Last edited by chen39yi at 2008-2-16 08:04 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-17 01:59:45 |Display all floors
I know what you're referring to, rainbow. I sent that article to a Chinese friend of mine (outside of China) and he immediately recognized those two people. I'm surprised you even mentioned it.

I think The Economist gives a pretty fair assessment of China, whether or not you agree with its positions. I'm sure it gives a different perspective from that of the media in China.

I admire any non-native speaker of English who tries to read The Economist. You really can learn an enormous amount, even from one issue.

The Economist has a subtle, sly sense of humor. When the popular US cartoon show The Simpsons had Homer (the father not known for intelligence) exclaim, ""Look at me. I'm reading The Economist. Did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?" (a typical Economist-type phrase), The Economist made a subtle reference to the joke that week by referring to "Indonesia at a crossroads" and a few months later using the same phrase in a country survey about Indonesia. So it seems like they're having a fun time at the Economist's offices.
homersimpsonupgrade.jpg
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.