Views: 5844|Replies: 10

how to say "酸, 说不上痛" in English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-12 12:18:06 |Display all floors
I actually didn't want to type the word 酸, but a variant of it with 病字旁, but the Chinese Input Method I was using failed me.

OK, back to the mutton. Is there a simple word in English to describe 酸 (one that's distinguishable from 痛)?
世上就怕“认真”二字,I'll try my best

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2008-2-12 12:21:06 |Display all floors

sore is the one, trust me! ^_^

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2008-2-12 12:24:17 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2008-2-12 12:38:14 |Display all floors

Don't know why you couldn't get it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-12 12:41:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rovi297 at 2008-2-12 12:24
痛 ---though sore also means it, it can be 酸.

After my workout / bout / exercise for two hours, i feel so sore in my arms and legs.

痛 ---in general, it means pain / ache

I checked with my dictionary and 酸 is not mentioned for "sore". But of course I've used enough dictionaries to know not to trust them. Thanks for the answer.  From my personal experience, the sensations of  酸 and 痛 are very different and I believe there must be a way to distiguish between them in English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-12 12:49:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jl2315 at 2008-2-12 12:38

Don't know why you couldn't get it.

Thank you. I did a cut and paste and looked it up at www.zdic.net to check its pinyin but it's definite that the Microsoft New Zhuyin IME did not include the word 痠 for selection when I typed in pinyin "suan". Perhaps the IME is not up to date. Anyway, thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-12 13:32:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rouofhk at 2008-2-12 12:41
I checked with my dictionary and 酸 is not mentioned for "sore". But of course I've used enough dictionaries to know not to trust them. Thanks for the answer.  From my personal experience, the sensations of  酸 and 痛 are very different and I believe there must be a way to distiguish between them in English.

Hi,
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for, but I want to help. Are you looking for different English words to describe these different kinds of soreness or pain?

Maybe 酸 is not listed if you look up "sore", but "sore is listed when I look up 酸 (it says "sour, sore, ache, acid").
In English, Rovi gave a good example above of muscles being sore after exercising. "Sore" can be used in MANY ways!
Can you describe the situations of pain? Then we can give you good words for them!
For example -
- When you have a cold you may get a sore throat.
- If eat too much and your stomach hurts, is that sore? No, we would say "I have a stomachache" or "my stomach hurts" or "I have gas pains".
..... so give us some examples and we'll help you get it straight!
:)
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.