Author: gotohell

US Marine accused of rape in Japan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-15 06:07:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by scarylaowei at 2008-2-15 00:05

Incorrect. It has nothing to do with the victim.
Extraterritoriality of the justice system is an international legal standard. The US forces deployed in Europe and Canada etc. have the same st ...

So does that mean you agree that these paedophiles and rapists shoudl just go on with their raping sprees?
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 06:09:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gotohell at 2008-2-15 06:07

So does that mean you agree that these paedophiles and rapists shoudl just go on with their raping sprees?

I said nothing of the sort and any one can see that.
Read it again if you require.
A riot is an ugly thing.... and I think it's just about time we had one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 08:01:22 |Display all floors

Is there no end to law breaking ?

Originally posted by scarylaowei at 2008-2-15 00:05

Extraterritoriality of the justice system is an international legal standard. The US forces deployed in Europe and Canada etc. have the same st ...

This is the scary attitude I spoke of :

#1.  " It has NOTHING to do with the victim "  bragged the supremacist !  Oh dear , foot-in-the-mouth disease for you laowei.   I would have thought that it has EVERYTHING to do with the victim ( 14 year old girl ) and her family !  No ?  They don't work like that in the States ?  Pardon me .

#2.  " Extraterritoriality of the justice system ... " !?  What does this big word mean ?  I am impressed but underwhelmed .  This is not war ,buddy and this is not related to a territory at the time of surrender . The WWII has ended 52 years ago , remember ?  Japan is called a " sovereign " nation .  I know , I know , Yankees don't stand on such trivialities or ceremonies . You are superior and you are allowed to rape, murder , torture and arrest anyone anywhere anytime .  I am forgetting my place , right ?

The sad consequence to this supremacist dealings is that less and less people look up to the Americans for leadership long ago . They are reviled world wide and we can see why here , through the attitude shown to us by one of them .  

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-2-15 08:28:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by scarylaowei at 2008-2-15 01:05

Extraterritoriality of the justice system is an international legal standard. The US forces deployed in Europe and Canada etc. have the same status.

This is the major problem over here. People are demanding that these criminals are handed over to local judiciary in order to make sure that they receive the punishment they deserve and not run away after one or two years as free men. Let's not forget that they did commit their crimes on the soil of the guest nation and not within their exterritorial barracks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 13:45:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2008-2-14 19:28

Extraterritoriality of the justice system is an international legal standard. The US forces deployed in Europe and Canada etc. have the same status.

This is the major problem ove ...

I can understand that, but if one looks at a number of recent incidents.... "justice" is not always what everyone might want. There are countries in the world today, that would not hold an actual trial. Not that countries like Japan, Germany, Italy, etc. would do such a thing, but I imagine that the local prosecution of another countries military personel... is not a door many sovereign nations want opened.

Take for instance if a Chinese soldier conducting UN missions is accused of a crime. An accusation would not equate to guilt, but if it was common practice to let the immediate country try an individual, that soldier might actually be tried in a court of public opinion (based on political climate), Sharia law, or tribal.... rather than a court of justice Chinese citizens would expect.

I am not arguing for protectionism and if individuals were found guilty of sex crimes (rape, molestation, etc.), by military court, they should be hung..... but we must always look three steps forward in these situations.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-2-15 14:48:03 |Display all floors
There are several more problems that occured in Okinawa over the past 6 months, such as a Japanese woman who was assaulted by a family member of a US serviceman in October last year and the robbery of a taxi driver by two US servicemen in January 2008. The governor of Okinawa just expressed his anger by pointing out that 'malicious, barbaric incidents have never ceased to take place and we have no choice but to question the commitment of the US military to enforce strict discipline'.

Lt. Gen. Bruce Wright, speaking to reporters in Tokyo yesterday promised again (it happens quite often nowadays) to do everything to restore the confidence of the Japanese public. He said that he knows that the existing programs have been effective over the years both in the US and outside the US. He also stressed, that the US forces in Japan know that they have to adhere to the highest standards of professional conduct in Japan (this makes one wonder how they behave in other countries abroard).

Fact is that the last incident spoiled US-Japan relations. Many Japanese want the US troops to leave Okinawa and suggest that they be better stationed in Guam.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 15:03:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2008-2-15 01:48
There are several more problems that occured in Okinawa over the past 6 months, such as a Japanese woman who was assaulted by a family member of a US serviceman in October last year and the robbery ...

I agree, more needs to be done.

The family member should be tried by the Okinawan courts.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.