Author: gotohell

Fat Obese Americans are Facing Problems [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-10-1 22:21:16 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-1 22:26:41 |Display all floors
No waste fat obease gweilo.
Good use for frying sweet potatos and chickens.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-2 07:13:39 |Display all floors

Doctor: U.S. Needs to Control "Tsunami of Obesity"

Posted by Stephanie Condon

Health care costs will continue to escalate in the United States unless Congress goes beyond the reform measures it is considering now, the president of the well-respected Cleveland Clinic said Thursday.

Insurance reform and payment reform are not enough to curb the unsustainable growth of medical costs in the U.S., Delos "Toby" Cosgrove, chief executive and president of the Cleveland Clinic, said at The First Draft of History, a conference in Washington, D.C. produced by The Atlantic, the Newseum and The Aspen Institute. It is essential, he said to also implement changes to the delivery of care, as well as to decrease the burden of disease in the United States.

Current health care legislation "is about insurance reform and payment reform," Cosgrove said. "It is not health care reform."

The number of elderly people in the U.S. is increasing, while the number of sophisticated treatments available increases as well -- both bringing costs up.

"Add to that the situation where we maybe bring another 40 million people under coverage, you're going to see a continuing escalation of health care we're not going to be able to sustain at the present time," Cosgrove said. "We've got to figure out a way to do it more efficiently -- that's going to require doctors to be integrated with hospitals, and hospitals to be integrated with hospitals."

At the Cleveland Clinic -- one of the top medical facilities in the U.S. and one of the largest private medical centers in the world -- the physician-based surgery and medicine departments are integrated into collaborative teams.

Cosgrove said he suspects Congress may pass a health care bill this year that addresses payment and insurance reforms and may return to health care delivery reform with a second bill.

The nation also needs to address preventive care and wellness, he said. Smoking, inactivity and disease lead to 40 percent of the premature deaths in the United States, he said. They also lead to chronic disease, which accounts for more than 70 percent of health care costs.

"We're not going to be able to afford the sort of care we'd like to see... if we don't control this tsunami of obesity," Cosgrove said.

The Cleveland Clinic says it has instituted its own wellness programs to curb smoking and obesity with remarkable results. Cosgrove said the clinic does not allow smoking on its campus, does not hire smokers and that soda, candy and food with trans fats were taken out of the hospital cafeteria. The clinic offers its employees free Weight Watchers programs and free access to its gym, among other things. In the past nine months, the clinic has collectively lost 112,000 pounds.
No Virgin Girl in America

American can not live without SEX.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-2 08:59:55 |Display all floors

Obesity

Obesity is just one of the problems.Alcohol is never mentioned.Or the causes for obesity.Meat,dairy
products,sugar,sedentary professions.The whole consumerist edifice brings more problems than it solves.
War,pollution,depletion of essential resources.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-2 10:29:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by brobostigon at 2008-8-4 23:18
the overweight and obesity problem is spreading to China.  It's a human problem, not a US problem.

Is that your theory, or what you've noticed?

I live in Shanghai. There are lots of Chinese here richer than me. Thinner than me too.

I'm not fat at all, and I also notice that other foreigners that come here are (on average), thinner than those we left back home. In America I see huge mountains of fat wobbling around with fat hands cramming food into insatiable faceholes. When I came to China one of the first thing I noticed was all the tall, slender, and goodlooking foreigners -- perhaps these features are found together with the same DNA that lets some foreigners see the truth of China's greatness. Isn't it a fact that critics of China tend to be fat? I think that is statistically provable.

One scientific point I've learned about relating to the Chinese eating habits: Sugar stimulates Chinese taste buds far more than it effects westerns. That means the Chinese find most super-seet western style treats inedible due to the extreme concentration of sugar.

I know Chinese can consume a lot of oil, but appearently it dosn't cause them the same trouble it causes my peers back in America. Even in rich districts here in China where the people often eat at McD's and KFC, eat icecream and candy, I still see the people are thin. You can find a fat one if you look hard enough, but the people as a group remain thin even in environments similar to the west.

Another difference I've noticed is that in America few adults engage in atheletic sports, and few walk when they can bike, few bike when they can drive. Here the people are far more active and athletic. Many play sports just like when they werekids, it seems to be good for them.

It's not wealth makes one fat. That is proven by the fact that in America and other places it is the poor who have the greatest level of obesity. Obesity is caused by modern fast foods and packaged foods with super-high sugar/oil content combined together with a culture of eating and general stupidity. America poor and middle class suffer the most.
eating-culture-eat-for-fun.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-27 08:29:47 |Display all floors

Half of US adults will be obese by 2030, report says

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30PM GMT

Based on trends, half of the adults in the United States will be obese by 2030 unless the government makes changing the food environment a policy priority, according to a report released Thursday on the international obesity crisis in the British medical journal the Lancet.

Those changes include making healthful foods cheaper and less-healthful foods more expensive largely through tax strategies, the report said. Changes in the way foods are marketed would also be called for, among many other measures.

A team of international public health experts argued that the global obesity crisis will continue to grow worse and add substantial burdens to health-care systems and economies unless governments, international agencies and other major institutions take action to monitor, prevent and control the problem. Washington Post
big fat huge obese Anglo.jpg
No Virgin Girl in America

American can not live without SEX.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-8 20:27:21 |Display all floors
Obesity in America: 42% estimated to be obese by 2030, new data shows

Mon May 7, 2012

By 2030, it is estimated that 42 percent of the U.S. population will be obese.

The latest government data show that obesity is leveling off after big rises in earlier decades. But the new study finds even small continuing rises will add up.

Duke University researchers predict that by 2030, 11 percent of people will be severely obese, roughly 100 pounds or more overweight. That is double today's rate.

The obesity epidemic is fueling diabetes, heart disease and other ailments -- and adds significantly to the nation's rising healthcare bill. Huffington Post

HIGHLIGHTS

As of 2010, about 36% of adults were obese, which is roughly 30 pounds over a healthy weight, and 6% were severely obese, which is 100 or more pounds over a healthy weight. freep.com

"The obesity problem is likely to get much worse without a major public health intervention," says Eric Finkelstein, a health economist with Duke University Global Health Institute and lead researcher on the new study. He presented his analysis at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) "Weight of the Nation" meeting, where experts are discussing strategies for the prevention and control of obesity. The study is being published online in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. freep.com

The report's authors give a sobering price tag for these predictions: such an increase would create $550 billion of obesity-related healthcare costs. abcnews.go.com

The authors calculated the future obesity and severe obesity prevalence based on population factors such as gender, age, race, ethnicity, employment data and recent trends. CNN

Dr. William Dietz, one of the study's authors and director of the CDC's division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity, also noted that children who are currently overweight or obese will likely be a major source of the increasing rates. "We know that about 50 percent of severe obesity in adults is consequence of obesity in childhood," he said. abcnews.go.com

Currently about 17 percent of children and adolescents are obese. abcnews.go.com

Diane Abbot (British MP): Anglos love playing divide and rule
David Cameron (British PM): Anglos caused most of the world's problems!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.