Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2008-2-2 15:02:46 |Display all floors

呵呵呵,我还以为你是个姑娘呢。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-2 15:42:27 |Display all floors
Donot worry.  A master degree  helps your opions to be easily accepted.
i believe jarryxzs is a brain.
i think poems are difficult to be appropriately translated due to the great difference between languages, especially those belong to different families.  Maybe some can, but i have not seen any good translation on poetry.
If some one drop some poetic points in translating poems, i believe he is not a good translator.
I read many translated poems, but i feel a lot of them are not  translations, but imitations,  losing much of poetics.  Foreigners reading such so-called poems may think Chinese poems are bad.
If you want people outside China get to know Chinese poetry, teach them Chinese. That's better.
手握乾坤鼠, 茶溶四海秋. 心宽无大志, 戏赋欲还休.
Blog: http://www.blog.sina.com.cn/qujiangrong

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2008-2-2 16:19:23 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-2 17:23:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rovi297 at 2008-2-2 16:19

有道理!这么看来英诗汉译也是徒劳的,对不?

By no means. I think there are many opinions regarding poetry translation, perhaps as many as those regarding poetry per se.  In my opinion, poetry is mostly for pleasure of our soul, so its aesthetic value for the individual should not be overlooked in translation.  As different cultures and languages have their own set of criteria in judging aesthetic values----- the same picture,  or image may evoke different emotions in different cultures; the same imagery may work in one language but not in another.  For a poet, even each word has its own musical value, let alone  rhythm, meter, rhymes, different skills that are involved in writing poetry in a specific language. That's why a "literal" translation of a poem into another language reads so hideous. So it's always be my opinion that, in order to "translate" a poem, firstly one should be skilled in writing poems in both languages; secondly, secondly, one should be creative enough to represent the  poem in another language, not compromising its aesthetic values. It's hard and "faithfulness" may be discounted a bit as a result. But I'd rather translate a poem beautifully than translate it uglily (but faithfully).

It's not real translation, I know. It's a piece of my own invention ( sometimes), you caught me right on this account. So what? I don't enter for a literature prize and therefore the clitiques are way off the mark.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2008-2-2 18:46:44 |Display all floors

Reply #19 househusband's post

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-2 19:45:10 |Display all floors
HH, you say a mouthful. But to the best of my belief, poetry not only serves for the pleasure for our soul, but also for the catharsis of our emotions of joy, sorrow, reverence, hate. And I think the later is more important.

Well, there allows a little bit of limits for so-called creation by a translator for the concern of aesthetic values rather than subduing to its literal translation, but we can not go too far or that isn't translation any more but a new piece.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.