Author: gotohell

Indian students flock to China for higher studies [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-30 00:25:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changcheng at 1/29/2008 04:46 AM
This can be a great opportunity for Chinese students to practise their English, as all their education in India will be in English. Of course, they will come across many different Indian accents, but that is not necessarily such a bad thing. They will be in an environment where they will be forced to practise and improve their own English--if they wish to. However, the reality is that most such students (with a few exceptions) tend to stick together, avoiding the local students, speaking only in Chinese, playing online Chinese games, chatting in Chinese on QQ, watching Chinese movies,... in short, living in India exactly as they would live in China, and then complaining that they are not able to learn English or understand Indian English   

Oh... sounds like a few ex-pat college communities I have seen in the United States.  However, what about day to day needs, that force a person to interact with the community around them?  Laundry, Take Out Food, etc. - you telling me the community is that isolated?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-30 01:32:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-1-30 00:03
In the case of China, however, the situation really is different: It doesn't have enough study places for its own nationals, is that true or not?  Haven't Chinese students for years been going abroad to "complete" their studies and paying substantial amounts of money for tuition and accommodation there? ...

How do you define 'enough'? That they should be more than 100% admittance probability for every prospective student?

We know, don't we, Mangler, that not a single Chinese university is among the world's top institutions of higher learning. Quantity takes precedence over quality; now Indians have to settle for poorer quality because China is their only affordable alternative...

That's also why they only able to hire lot as you as their [size=-2]english teacher? For they cannot hire other with better attitude and characters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-30 04:34:56 |Display all floors

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

#1.  senile , the only one being mangled and tangled is you . And I am happy to be of help .  NO country in the world has ALL its undergraduates attending home universities , not even the US or UK , right ? It is incestuous not to spread your wings and allow some undergraduates and post graduates to seek fresher horizons and gain different experiences .  

#2.  This list of the " best " universities in the world is one for the trivial pursuit parlor game . China has many universities listed on it now and again . The practical fact is : how do you measure this " excellence " ? and who do it ? Does it matter ? The solid test is of course in the quality of the graduates when they do their work either at home or abroad. And Chinese graduates are much sort after around the world .

#3.  It is silly for dannycool to say that medical collages in the US and the UK are better than any in Asia . Which hospitals have you worked in , either in the west or the east  my boy ? It is so unkool to spew such nonsense . Go into the naughty corner .

#4. Senile , care to tell us from which continent did you get your degree ? ( if indeed you have ). Not pressing , just wondering .  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-30 04:55:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 1/29/2008 02:34 PM
And I am happy to be of help .  NO country in the world has ALL its undergraduates attending home universities

Sounds like personal experience on that idea.  Care to elaborate?

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-30 09:54:54 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, I've never yet made it to Uluru, can you believe it! The Big Rock has been beckoning to me plaintively at dreamtime for quite a while, but I have been too wrapped up in other things to heed its forlorn call    

Naaaa, mate, no touting there; just a mild suggestion to help them avoid the clutches of greedy touts out to take advantage of their ignorance. It can be notoriously hard to get useful information in India (just look at the quality of Indian websites).

Of course one doesn't need to learn Indlish, which can be quite a mix of Indian languages too at times. It's even rather fashionable for Indian FM radio dj's to sprinkle generous amounts of local languages into their English! But just being in India can make these students start developing fluency in English, even if just for sheer survival.

Coming back to Indian doctors in China, I think the question of their recognition by the Indian Medical Council is not yet resolved (not because Chinese education is considered bad, but because not much is known about it). The first batch of doctors is yet to return to India, and quite possibly they and their families may be able to exert enough emotional blackmail (sit on hunger strike outside the Parliament building and wail, Aiyo, what will poor, poor me do now after spending all that time and money in China) to get the Council to recognise them.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-30 10:47:13 |Display all floors
changcheng,

Thank you for your post , interesting . What you have said about Chinese medical degrees being ( considered for ) recognition  in India is absolutely true .  This degree is the most closely scrutinized professional degree because doctors are " licensed to kill " so to speak . Even some prestigious US medical degree are not recognized automatically in Australia . There has to be worked out " reciprocity " of  mutual recognition :  I recognize yours if you recognize mine . Of course thorough and extensive testing of standards and quality monitoring goes on almost indefinitely . Cheers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-30 11:05:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changcheng at 1/29/2008 07:54 PM
Naaaa, mate, no touting there; just a mild suggestion to help them avoid the clutches of greedy touts out to take advantage of their ignorance.  

<chuckle> Universal Advice for all students going off the university around the world.  Best to tell them to avoid Credit Card offers.
StudentDebt.gif

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.