Views: 31652|Replies: 65

What are your "comfort foods"? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-18 02:13:02 |Display all floors
In English, "comfort foods" refer to foods that are traditional in YOUR family personally, that you've been eating since you were little, and make you feel warm and comfortable and homey. If you're upset or sad or sick, comfort foods might help you feel better. If you're away from home, you might miss these foods if you can't get them where you are, and if you do have them, they might make you miss your grandma or something.

Sometimes we may share the same comfort foods within a culture, but it's not necessarily traditional in your culture, and it could be something very common or very unusual, or it may be that your mom or someone prepared it a little differently than others.

COMFORT FOODS FOR ME:

black (red) tea with milk & sugar (Grandma gave this to me every morning from childhood)

macaroni and cheese  (a simple cheap food she made for me often)

mashed potatoes with gravy  (a common side dish as I grew up)

deviled eggs  (hard boil the eggs, cut in half, take out yolk and mix with mayo, mustard, black pepper & salt, spoon back into white halves, sprinkle with paprika)

I LOVE deviled eggs.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 02:30:55 |Display all floors
Believe it or not, I found great comfort the last week or so from Betty Crocker Potato Buds instant mashed potatoes(extra French butter), canned Del Monte green peas and Xinjiang lambsticks (lightly seasoned)
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 02:33:04 |Display all floors
Believe it or not, I found great comfort the last week or so from Betty Crocker Potato Buds instant mashed potatoes(extra French butter), canned Del Monte green peas and X.injiang lambsticks (lightly seasoned)

PS
I like devilled eggs too, I make them every once in a while.
And I still have one box left of Kraft Mac&Cheese (original recipe of course)

[ Last edited by wowzers at 2008-1-18 02:34 AM ]
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 02:54:02 |Display all floors

Anything that does not require a great amount of time and effort to cook...

The wife has banned me from buying any chocolate, ice cream, soda, sliced bread, chips, etc. etc. etc.

Suffice to say the closet I have to comfort food is small tin of tuna.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 04:40:02 |Display all floors

mom's cucina...

the term comfort food for me is food DOESN'T have an attitude OR should i say HOME COOKED styled...easy to make in minutes OR the list is here & usually you have the ingredients & stock inside of your pantry: black bean soup, chicken pot pie, beef lasagna, buttermilk fried chicken split pea soup & beef stroganoff  
Stroganoff.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 06:47:57 |Display all floors

-

BA big pot of hot noodles,,,,,,,,  I put my feet in them and it feels sooooooo goooood..............

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 09:33:26 |Display all floors
chops and lotus root soup
lianoupaigu.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.