Author: gotohell

US: Why do you Treat Immigrants so Badly? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-20 11:04:26 |Display all floors
What a bunch of nonsense, the United States is entirely peopled with Immigrants. Sounds like a lot of folks here don't know what they are talking about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 12:27:12 |Display all floors
Umm... yes they DO, at least those of us from the US know what we're talking about. There are two kinds of immigrants, read carefully:

1 - Legal

2 - Illegal  (against the law)

That article is talking about measures being taken against ILLEGAL immigrants.

How would you feel if I, a foreigner here in china, decided to forget about my visa and passport (签证,护照) and just let them expire but keep living here against the law? I would live in an apartment with other foreigners, but the apartment is in someone else's name, we are hiding from the law. Furthermore, I will work here illegally, taking a low-level job (because a low job won't care about my visa, and I don't have an education anyway) that you or your son or the million other poor people in your area could be having. And I will expect to cross the border, going in and out of china as I please to go home and visit family, but get mad when the border police catch me. And I will try to bring my family here illegally too, or at least send home china's money to my own country for my family to use there.

And if you don't care too much because you think it's ok because I'm a white foreigner, or I'm only one person...

..... what if 100,000 nomads from Mongolia each year ran across the desert at places where the border police can't see them, and came into china with no passport, against the law, and did all of the above? What would you think of those Mongolians who'd be here taking your jobs and living in your apartments and sending your money home to Mongolia, all illegally?
What would you think when they complain that they don't have the same rights in china as you do and they're mad when the police ask them for their ID just because they look mongolian?
What would you think when you see them in the store speaking mongolian and being upset when the cashier can't understand them?

(note: I'm a very kind person and wish everyone could live where they choose, harmoniously and legally)
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-21 00:17:59 |Display all floors

I am not depending mexican

but here is historical fact:

Entire western United Stated use to belong to Mexico. Why do you think San Francisco is espanic word. To remedy this problem United State should just sent Mexico a 100 billion dollar check to kick start Mexico's economy. A " I am sorry check" will create enough jobs so Mexican do have to cross the border to find a way to make a living.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-21 00:36:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by proteinboy at 1/17/2008 08:13 PM
for someone not to be treated as a second class citizen in the US, you need to be,

Caucasion, male, heterosexual, and with a full head of hair,

which isnt going to be that many....

<snort>  Hm, sounds like someone is a bit upset at my stance, care to elaborate?  Or are the tried and tired verbal retorts the only thing in your linguist arsenal?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-21 00:39:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinaimport at 1/20/2008 10:17 AM
but here is historical fact:

Entire western United Stated use to belong to Mexico. Why do you think San Francisco is espanic word. To remedy this problem United State should just sent Mexico a 100 billion dollar check to kick start Mexico's economy. A " I am sorry check" will create enough jobs so Mexican do have to cross the border to find a way to make a living.  

Sorry - but that was done before - twice.  In the late 1800's with the Gadsden Purchase and with the general amensty of late 1980's with Ronald Reagen.

Nope - the illegals are going to go.

As for the PRI and the rest of the Mexican officials that have been blowing 50 years of oil money - maybe these illegals can get around to dealing with them.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 07:17:13 |Display all floors
U.S. Northwest Detention Center mistreats illegal immigrants

From excessive strip searches and overcrowding to a lack of due process, an immigrant advocacy group alleges detainees are being mistreated at the U.S. Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, which houses illegal aliens in the process of deportation.

The study - released by Seattle-based OneAmerica and the International Human Rights Clinic at Seattle University's law school - harshly criticizes the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's operation at the Tacoma detention center.

The report contains anecdotes in which detainees describe what they call degrading treatment by guards and subpar conditions at the jail.

"Probably the most striking, stark fact is that there's no accountability around conditions and standards, which is only made even more stark when you think of detention as being the fastest-growing form of incarceration in the United States," Pramila Jayapal, executive director of OneAmerica, said Monday.

Immigration officials denied the report's contentions, saying the detention facility complies with industry standards. The Geo Group, the Boca Raton, Florida-based private contractor that runs the facility, declined comment Monday.

"The information contained in the report has numerous inaccuracies and vague references that could not be corroborated or independently verified," said Immigration spokeswoman Lorie Dankers.

Most of the accounts come from 46 interviews between 2007 and 2008. Detainees were interviewed, as were family members and immigration lawyers. In some cases, researchers did not disclose names or dates in the accounts. The researchers also had sessions with ICE officials and tours of the facility.

One account in the 42-page report alleges that U.S. marshals denied some detainees access to restrooms for seven hours during flights from Seattle in 2007, leading some of the immigrants to defecate in their seats.

Melissa Middlesworth, a federal Justice Department spokeswoman based in Washington, D.C., said she could not immediately comment on that allegation without closer examination of the report.

Another woman cited in the report said she was strip searched several times after visits with her lawyer. Dankers said thorough strip searches are uncommon and only done when officers think there's probable cause to conclude that inappropriate contact took place between a detainee and a visitor.

The report also alleged that many immigrants were pressured to sign documents they did not fully understand and faced verbal abuse from guards if they delayed. Also, a lack of meeting rooms for detainees and lawyers led to hurried meetings lacking privacy.

The detention center opened in 2004 and has been expanded twice. Dankers said the center typically runs near capacity, which is about 1,000 detainees. It houses detainees mainly from Alaska, Oregon and Washington.

OneAmerica included recommendations in its report for better treatment, including better attorney access, improved officer training, increased privacy and improved medical care.

The report came a few days after ICE announced an increase of nearly 40 percent in deportations out of Washington, Oregon and Alaska over the first nine months of the fiscal year. More than 7,300 people have been deported from the region in that period, immigration officials said.

english.pravda.ru/world/105789-immigrants-0

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 23:35:56 |Display all floors

Reply #12 tradervic's post

Didn't the US also bail Mexico out when they were going to default on their public debts about a decade or so ago?
buddy, legal immigrants should enjoy the same protection by the law as citizens born in any given country but illegals have no rights except for human rights in our countries, which is fair enough.I find it rather dubious when the majority of information comes from a mere 46 interviews with people who would have an agenda because they were denied residence  so of course they're going to complain. I don't suggest that they made up stories that were untrue, but sour grapes is a strong motivator when seeking revenge.
I agree with freakyqis comments.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.