Author: perhapslove

请问“缘分”应该怎么说? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-17 12:03:32 |Display all floors
Here is the Wikipedia explanation:
Yuan (缘) or Yuanfen (缘份; pinyin: yuán fèn) is a Buddhist-related Chinese concept that means the predetermined principle that dictates a person's relationships and encounters, usually positive, such as the affinity among friends or lovers. In common usage the term can be defined as the "binding force" that links two persons together in any relationship. The concept of synchronicity from the Swiss psychologist Carl Jung can be seen as similar to yuánfèn, which Chinese people also believe to be a universal force governing the happening of things to some people at some places. Yuánfèn belongs to the family of concepts known in theology as determinism.

Some believe that the driving forces and causes behind yuánfèn are the actions done in the previous reincarnations. This aspect is therefore similar to karma of Buddhism. However, while karma often refers to the consequences of an individual's actions on him- or herself, yuán is always used in conjunction with two persons.

The proverb yǒu yuán wú fèn (有緣無份), "Have fate without destiny," is sometimes used to describe couples who meet, but who do not for whatever reason stay together.

Unlike other Chinese social relations, which describe abstract, but easily noticeable, connections between people, nowadays, Chinese merely use this word poetically or to emphasize a meant-to-be relationship, and almost never in a serious business or legal situation.
Thanks to that Wikipedia excerpt and your careful, enlightening description, househusband, it seems clear to me that "divine accident" really does not fit in a lot of instances. I agree that, probably, there really isn't a single word or phrase in English that conveys the meaning in all contexts.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-17 13:15:49 |Display all floors

At FREE TALK :- Poll Subject: Vote for the Member of Year 2007!

Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2008-1-17 12:03
Here is the Wikipedia explanation:Thanks to that Wikipedia excerpt and your careful, enlightening description, househusband, it seems clear to me that "divine accident" really does ...

Dear Forumites sych as PerhapsLove, Adeley,Jeff, Clearwater,HouseHusband,Roufk, etc...as many many more

As hilited, the Poll for MEMBER of 2007 as hilited in RED as the TOP of this section is OUT......

Pls GO TO FREETALK & VOTE to yr likings......
I am hiliting this so that more people will vote......

Thank you....

Poll Subject: Vote for the Member of Year 2007!  (multiple choice)   

Caringhk   
Changabula   
Changzhou007  
Fresh_air
Markwu   
Mengzhi
Northwest
Robertcheng
Satsu_jin
Sexlion
Shelleybelly
Thunderbird
Tongluren

The CCP is losing far behind..............like the 7Wonders in the world where many are not aware of the GREAT WALL, pls VOTE......

One VOTE FOR A CHINESE IS A VOTE FOR CHINA............

p/s : chairman listed there in non-chinese....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.