Author: changzhou007

Small things here and there [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-22 15:03:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by robertcheng at 2008-1-22 11:14
Hey, changzhou... I'm greatly impressed by your thread....It's a good habit to compile information together to make it a complete reference...Next you may consider to publish one book named miscell ...

Sure, i also buy one if the book published, the better with changzhou's signature

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 08:56:42 |Display all floors
robertcheng & fresh_air, get it published? Are you joking? Hmmm, I'd like to take your comment as a compliment.:)

The interesting thing is that your voices are echoing what many friends and classmates of mine said to me,  "you are a gifted writer". They like what I wrote and encourage me to write. Maybe I should quit my interesting, high pay job to try my hand at writing fulltime, uh?

If it gets published, I would love to wrap it with the golden paper and send it with my signature to each of you as a present, and plus a flying kiss to fresh_air as a bonus.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 09:01:38 |Display all floors

A brief history of English language

Apart from what have been said above, the history of English language also gives a clue to on why small words and short sentences are the heart and the backbone of English.

The history of English language is paralleled to the history of England and UK. Around 500A.D, the Angles and Saxons who lived along the European continental North Sea coast from Demark to Holland settled in the islands called Britannia at the time. They brought with them a Germanic Language, Anglo-Saxon or Old English. As Norman French conquered England in roughly 1000A.D, many French words had come with them and enriched the Old English. Latin words had crept into English for centuries from Roman Empire to Vatican, besides, the Bible was written in Latin before being translated into English a few hundred years ago.

The result of this mingled history is a distinctive three-tiered vocabulary of Anglo-Saxon (Old English), French and Latin. For example, let's take a look at the following list.

Anglo-Saxon                   French                               Latin
(Old English)

ask                                    question                          interrogate
end                                    finish                               conclude
fair                                     beautiful                          attractive
fear                                    terror                                trepidation
help                                   aid                                    assist
rise                                    mount                              ascend

You see, Anglo-Saxon is the foundation of English Language and most of the words only have one syllable, and widely used in common folk's day-to-day live. Their directness, vividness and plainness make us feel more deeply and see things about us more truly. On the other hand, the majority of abstract words especially used in business and law are French, and finally the scientific, medical, philosophic terms are from Latin, which stimulate our minds to more complex thinking.

a footnote, from my post in English Square >> Let's play a one-syllable-word game

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 09:09:46 |Display all floors

Disarming intimidation and humiliation is the way to go ...

Originally posted by iamlost at 2007-4-1 18:57
The interview is the tirgger for my thought on this topic. In fact, I am very easy to get nervous. Most of it comes from the outside pressure, others' remarks and their erratic behaviour. I have no idea how to keep myself away from those intimadating words, or rather I've got a tendency towards them.

I am afraid that I have given more than you needed. No hard feeling, huh, you could  be just laughing at what I've said, for they may be garbage and rubbish and nonsense. That's ok for me, but I can't help dropping a few more lines here.

There are three ways to react and deal with intimidation and humiliation

1. Keep silence and swallow those intimidating words. You will be suffering for days, and leading to many other negative effects on you such as bad moods, nervousness, lowering your self-esteem.

2. Fight back and get into an argument. If you do that, most likely your negative emotion will get stirred up and you will be overreacted. You will fall into the dirty trap set by others.

3. Disarming the intimidation with your humor and wit, laughing at them, making them look like the clowns, is the way to go.

What is the effective way to learn how to disarm others' intimidation? I don't know. I have been picking up a few things here and there, and still looking for the new tricks.

The bottom line is not to lose your wits and humors easily as those intimidating things are  mocking you and bullying you.

a reply from iamlost.

Originally posted by iamlost at 2007-4-1 18:57
Are you a writer??
Or, you must be good at writing, I bet!!!
Your suggestions are very very helpful to me!  Merely saying "thank you" is far from expressing my gratitude.I write it down!!

from my post in Free Talk» How do you get out of nervousness?   (iamlost)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 09:17:20 |Display all floors

Focus on the image of success

Originally posted by iamlost
How do you get out of nervousness?

It is really a pain in the neck.
I've found myself stranded in a high level of tension every time there is an opportunity to show my talent. I can't stop being nervous. It expands in my heart as the moment approaching. I don't know how to shun it. It feels like out of control. The more you tell yourself to be calm, the faster your heart beats. I take a deep breath,practise smiling,tell myself i'm the best of all, and even sneer at those competitors inwardly. That does no good, not effecitive at all. My mind is in a tangle when it's my moment to shine.So what the hell am I doing? I'm doing nothing but let go of every chance of making a difference.
Are you easy to become nervous? What do you think is the best way to overcome,or at least reduce,this sort of negative feeling?

A lesson I learned when I was in junior high ...

I had made a lot of good shots and got into the final in my junior high school table tennis tournament years ago. My parents and many friends came to watch the final. As I was eager to please them, my shots either hit the net or flew out of  the table, nothing worked, the more I missed, the tenser I got. My coach called time out and said: "Don't think about me and your parents and anything else, just think about the good shots you made in the previous games."  I started to make a few good shots but too late and I lost. After the game, my coach patted my shoulder, saying a few comforting words then pointing out: "You have been focusing on failure all afternoon. I want you to look at the image of success."

Those simple words turned out to be one of the best pieces of advice I have ever gotten. This trick has been working remarkable well for me, from a few shots to my study, to my work and other aspects of my life.

Many studies have shown that tension or nervousness, which nine out of ten is based on the memory of past failures, can be reduced and eliminated by the memory of success.

Just curious, is the job interview one of the causes of your nervousness?   If yes, I'd like to say a bit more in my next posting.

from my post in Free Talk» How do you get out of nervousness? (iamlost)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 14:39:30 |Display all floors

waiting for your book

If it gets published, I would love to wrap it with the golden paper and send it with my signature to each of you as a present,

Don't forget me! I am also a warm reader

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 16:17:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2008-1-23 08:56
robertcheng & fresh_air, get it published? Are you joking? Hmmm, I'd like to take your comment as a compliment.:)

The interesting thing is that your voices are echoing what many fri ...

Wow...so precious present ! Thank you in advance!:)

You are really a gifted writer!:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.