Author: chinadaily

Expectations about Beijing Olympics [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-10 12:39:23 |Display all floors

Olympic Games Stamp Competition

The stamp competition and exhibition held in conjuction with the Beijing Olympics 2008 will not be internationally recognised and the prizes won by competitors will not be recognised as the quality of stamp competition  judging is not up to the mark by international standards ie the standard will be doubtful.

This is a great shame.

More in the thread at http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... p;page=1&extra=

The media must work hard to move mountains to correct the situation!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-10 12:44:56 |Display all floors
It seems that the Stamp Sub-Committee of the BOGOC has organised a stamp competition and exhibition on its own as it did not want to do it in association with the national philatelic body probably because it did not want to share the glory and fame in organising such an event.

Unfortunately, by not working in conjunction with the national philatelic association, the quality of the judging of the stamp competition entries will not be internationally recognised, as the competition will not be internationally recognised ie by the International Philatelic body.

Why will it not be internationally recognised?  This will be so because to be internationally recognised, the judging panel will have to consist of a number of internationally renowned judges from different countries to be appointed by the international body as well as a number of renowned judges to be appointed by the host country's philatelic organisation. Such an arrangement ensures fair and high quality judging decisions.

As the Beijing Olympics 2008 stamp competition is not organised in association with the national philatelic body, it is a waste of time for China (as well as other countries') stamp collectors to participate as their prizes will be useless as their quality will be in doubt. The stamp competition will be a failure.

With 30 days to go to the Games Opening Ceremony, it is too late to team up with the national philatelic organisation to give the stamp competition international recognition and credibility. This will be a great shame. What is worse it will be a great loss for China as this is China's first Olympics, to be held on a once-in-a-thousand-years date of 080808, an event that is internationally recognised to be China's 'coming-out ball' appearance into the international world, an olympics that is expected to be the greatest and best olympics ever held and unsurpassable for many years. How can this first international olympic held in China NOT have a stamp competition that is a failure and not recognised by the entire world?

However, it may still be possible! If the Beijing Olympics stamp compettion is held sometime during the games and not necessarily on the opening day. How can this be carried through?

It can be done if a very very very high official like the chairman of the BOGOC or if necessary, a very very very high POLITICAL person were to contact the Internation Philatelic body to correct the situation. I am positive we can save the situation for another memorable event to be included into the list of sucesses in this our greatest China's Beijing Olympics 2008.

I pray that it will happen.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 03:21:38 |Display all floors

Olympic Games success

Hello.
   Ihave followed the progress of the Games online for the last 2 years. It is clear the China wants to show her best face. It seems to be almost obsessive about the perfection of the Games. This makes me wonder about an employee of the Games and what will happen to one who makes a mistake. Does anybody know? Would it depend on the offense or would the person just lose face and be fired? What errors would mean prison time?
   The practice of the ceremonies and the triple checking of all  things related to the Olympics seems to this US resident to be very intense. What do you Chinese citizens feel about this? Sincerely, An American who is loving learning about China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-12 09:09:16 |Display all floors
Maybe I can not join in this Olypics Game ,but I hope one day ,in my life ,I will have the chance to be the volunteer when  Shanghai host the Shanghai Olypics Games.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-14 21:02:44 |Display all floors
The air is still bad and hardly anyone speaks English , how do you think the games will go? Plus there is still the usual rude behavior towards foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-14 21:19:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by garbotara at 2008-7-14 21:02
The air is still bad and hardly anyone speaks English , how do you think the games will go? Plus there is still the usual rude behavior towards foreigners.

thats the real plan.....

its a plan within a plan...

what do u think of chinese ?..they are stupid? they are thai?

what do u think of china?..its a pushover? its thailand?

stupid...this olympics isnt going to change china or chinese

a 5000 year history and the mightiest and oldest culture on earth should succumb and to a few agenda-ridden tourists and something as insignificant and trivial as the olympic games?

i dont think anyone  in the world wants that,....apart from the sons of may-hem that destroyed Thailand in the 80's and their followers  (who, by the way, are crappy “chess-players”, though self-proclaimed masters.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-21 14:41:01 |Display all floors

Reply #1 chinadaily's post

I think the critical issue is that what would we take to the local residents by hosting such gigantic games?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.