Author: xilaren

Which people you keep at a safe distance [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-27 22:38:00 |Display all floors

everybody. I'm lao wai

A riot is an ugly thing.... and I think it's just about time we had one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-28 00:35:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by xilaren at 2007-11-27 08:20
The most dangerous people for me are the hypocrites and the ones who are double faced.
These are the only ones I keep at a distance.

What about you?

People who are hurting others physically as well as mentally!...a hypocrite who doesn't hurt people is a harmless hypocrite...maybe morally he/she is regarded as a low-life by some...but he is not as harmful as a murderer, rapist, or warmonger.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Etymology

The word hypocrisy derives from the Greek ὑπόκρισις (hypokrisis), which means "play-acting", "acting out", "feigning, dissembling" or "an answer"[2]; the word hypocrite is from the Greek word ὑποκρίτης (hypokrites), the agentive noun associated with υποκρίνομαι (hypokrinomai), i.e. "I play a part." Both derive from the verb κρίνω, "judge" (»κρίση, "jugdement" »κριτική (kritiki), "critics") presumably because the performance of a dramatic text by an actor was to involve a degree of interpretation, or assessment, of that text.

Nevertheless, whereas hypokrisis applied to any sort of public performance (including the art of rhetoric), hypokrites was a technical term for a stage actor and was not considered an appropriate role for a public figure. In Athens in the 4th Century BC, for example, the great orator Demosthenes ridiculed his rival Aeschines, who had been a successful actor before taking up politics, as a hypokrites whose skill at impersonating characters on stage made him an untrustworthy politician. This negative view of the hypokrites, perhaps combined with the Roman disdain for actors, later shaded into the originally neutral hypokrisis. It is this later sense of hypokrisis as "play-acting," i.e. the assumption of a counterfeit persona, that gives the modern word hypocrisy its negative connotation. In all this, we do not find the modern idea that the hypocrite is unaware that his performance or argument stands in contradiction with his self: on the contrary, a hypocrite in antiquity was someone who intentionally tried to deceive others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-28 00:36:12 |Display all floors
Hypocrisy and morality

Hypocrisy has been described alongside lack of sincerity, as a characteristic which attracts particular opprobrium in the modern age. [3]Many belief systems condemn behaviours related to hypocrisy. In some translations of the Book of Job, the Hebrew word chaneph is rendered as "hypocrite," though it usually means "godless" or "profane." In the Christian Bible, Jesus condemns the scribes and Pharisees as hypocrites in the passage known as the Woes of the Pharisees. [4] In the Buddhist text Dhammapada, Gautama Buddha condemns a man who takes the appearance of an ascetic but is full of passions within.[5] In Islam, the Qur'an rails against the munafiq - those who claim to be believers and peacemakers, thinking they are fooling Allah and others, but only fool themselves. [6

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-28 00:37:31 |Display all floors
Psychology of hypocrisy

In psychology, hypocritical behavior is closely related to the fundamental attribution error: individuals are more likely to explain their own actions by their environment, yet they attribute the actions of others to 'innate characteristics', thus leading towards judging others while justifying ones' own actions. [7]

Also, some people genuinely fail to recognize that they have character faults which they condemn in others. This is called Psychological projection. This is Self-deception rather than deliberate deception of other people. In other words, "sychological hypocrisy" is usually interpreted by psychological theorists to be an unconscious defense mechanism rather than a conscious act of deception, as in the more classic connotation of hypocrisy. People understand vices which they are struggling to overcome or have overcome in the past. Efforts to get other people to overcome such vices may be sincere. There may be an element of hypocrisy as well if the actors do not readily admit to themselves how far they are or have been subject to these vices.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-28 00:39:33 |Display all floors
Hypocrisy in humor

Hypocrisy is often utilized intentionally as a form of sarcastic humor, not only in film and television, but among the population. Of course, there is a distinct boundary between humorous hypocrisy and what can be interpreted as serious hypocrisy. Often, if the hypocrisy act is carried out too long, one may get the impression that they are serious. Another form of serious hypocrisy that was intended to be funny is when the listener does not realize that it is humor, or when the speaker insults the listener. In comedy writing, this is sometimes called a "Stan Daniels turn," a joke setup where "a character says something and then does an immediate 180-degree shift on what he just said," according to The Simpsons producer Al Jean.[8]

Hypocrisy can also be humorous unintentionally,as when a man who often condemns others for moral failures claims that having sexual relations with someone other than his wife is acceptable in certain circumstances, using the justification "it's not adultery if your wife is in the room."[1]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-28 10:28:10 |Display all floors

-

It is my policy to keep away from:

Anyone carrying a gun.
Ex-wives
Used Car Salesmen and Lawyers (same level)
Under aged girls
Unmarried old ladies
Greeks Bearing Gifts
Tripods (boys who like boys)
Boys who look like girls
Religious fanatics
Guys with smoking tennis shoes at airports (shoe bombers)
People pushing shopping carts 2 miles from a grocery store
Truckers who are asleep at the wheel
Very Beautiful Chinese girls
Sub prime loan brokers
Terrorists carrying nuclear suitcases
Monsters from other planets
Taxi drivers from India
Hungry Allegators
Dogs that don't wag their tails
Cats wagging their tails
Mojave Green Rattlesnakes
Crazy Environmentalists who sink ships at Antartica

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2007-11-28 18:54:31 |Display all floors

what did you say?

Originally posted by spiritrace at 2007-11-28 10:28
It is my policy to keep away from:

Anyone carrying a gun.
Ex-wives
Used Car Salesmen and Lawyers (same level)
Under aged girls
Unmarried old ladies
Greeks Bearing Gifts
Tripods (boys who l ...

You said Greeks bearing gifts.........................................!
Either you live in ancient greece or you are an enemy to the greeks.Then you have to be careful haha
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.