Author: qinger

国际化意识 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-21 11:31:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by househusband at 2007-11-20 05:52 PM
…the word "globalization" is almost automatically associated in the Chinese mind with "development", "opportunity", "advancement" and the like, with its "downsides" being curtailed and buried. So I guess the word wouldn't conjures up as disturbing an image in China as it would probably do in, say, some countries in Europe.
Globalization is an interesting word, really, because it's transitioning in English from a positive or neutral term to one that is both positive or negative, depending on the context. That's just my impression.

I think you're right, househusband, cosmopolitan is somewhat literary or cultural in its meaning—one would not describe the perspective of international finance experts, say, as "cosmopolitan" but, rather, as "global" or, well, "international." I was impressed that qinger thought of it also.

Also, cosmopolitan has slight political tinge to it (for example, its Russian equivalent was a word used in Stalin's Soviet Union for political purposes) so, unless the meaning is fairly clear, it might conjure up an unintended connotation.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-21 20:42:42 |Display all floors
many thanks.

context: it's one of the merits of developing international educational travelling,esp educational exchange activities in schools between different countries.the style is just as in the following:
        merits to students....
        4.提高学生的国际意识

(i don't think it matters much without the context but i 'd like to offer it)
---students can know more about foreign culture, language, etc by participating in these various international educational tour programs, such as taking classes with foreign students, experiencing traditional musical instruments,discussing with foreign students, playing games....

based on that i think the following versions are all suitable:

developing world concept among students
students global-mind fostering
developing global perspective/outlook
promoting cosmopolitan concept / attitude and interests----i think the word cosmopolitan is kind of suitable and really it's not some fantastic idea househusband mentioned to urge me to use the word.the word does have many meanings, but i feel it just sounds ok here. thanks for furthering the discussion about the word.

[ Last edited by qinger at 2007-11-21 08:47 PM ]
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.