Author: qinger

国际化意识 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-20 22:33:45 |Display all floors

Lao Wai 2 cents....

globalization - the trend of (usually American) culture and business to cross borders and displace local culture and business... not a good thing

global perspective or cosmopolitan attitudes and interests are actually both good for the more benign phenomenon you're trying to describe.

Although cosmopolitan also refers to a drink and a sexy woman's magazine, it is a very common term in the West for being open to other cultures and peoples.
A riot is an ugly thing.... and I think it's just about time we had one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-20 23:09:58 |Display all floors

cosmopolitan attitude

I agree with you, qinger, that "promote a cosmopolitan attitude among students" sounds good.

I don't think it sounds strange , hly.

But as far as the meaning is concerned, hly's suggestion may be better:

encourage students to develop a global outlook
or
"encourage students to have a global perspective"
('promote a global perspective among students would lack clarity)

In any case, I am sure that this is now merely an academic exercise - by now qinger would have moved on to other paragraphs, leaving the underemployed to sqabble over these phrases!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-20 23:48:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by waibeijing at 2007-11-20 23:09
I agree with you, qinger, that "promote a cosmopolitan attitude among students" sounds good.

I don't think it sounds strange , hly.

But as far as the meaning is concerned, h ...

i see, thanks:-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-21 07:20:23 |Display all floors
Actually, hly, I agree with your first impression. :)

cosmopolitan has various meanings including "having worldwide rather than limited or provincial scope or bearing " or "having wide international sophistication ." So, the connotation is worldly (like "extensive" or as contrasted to provincial, parochial, local) or sophistcated (as contrasted with unsophisticated or unrefined).

So  "cosmopolitan attitudes and interests" sounds a little like "worldly attitudes or interests" or  "sophisticated attitudes or interests." It might convey a little too much sophistication or urbanity. For example, in an article about a shopping district with shops from around the world or hotel complex in Shanghai, I might use the word "cosmopolitan."

I think that, as waibeijing suggests,  "encourage students to develop a global outlook" or "encourage students to have a global perspective" might be good choices.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2007-11-21 09:31:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-21 09:52:15 |Display all floors
Wow, so many laowais here. It's a question of cosmopolitan interest indeed!

I agree that "global outlook" is direct, simple, and effective for that context. It is true that globalization has drawn much criticism in many societies, the world over. But in China, it's a pet phrase of the government officials and, thanks to the hype and ballyhoo surrounding the WTO talks, the word "globaizationl" is almost automatically associated in the Chinese mind with "development", "opportunity", "advancement" and the like, with its "downsides" being curtailed and buried. So I guess the word wouldn't conjures up as disturbing an image in China as it would probably do in, say, some countries in Europe.

"Cosmopolitan" is a fancy word in this context. It is aesthetically romantic and so literature-like. I think qinger at least deserves an innovative prize or something, in honor of her fantastic idea.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-21 10:18:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hly_123 at 2007-11-20 13:52
Hi:
How about "develop students' globalization awareness"?

:)I agree this.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.